The water that comes to your faucet has made a long trip. Collection, processing, transport... all these operations have a cost that affects its price, and therefore your bill.
Components of the price of water
The price of water on your bill includes different budget shares:
- Distribution and supply of drinking water (collection, treatment for drinking water, transportation and water supply).
- Collection and treatment of wastewater (evacuation of wastewater to treatment plants to clean up, modernization and expansion of facilities...).
- Pollution and levy levy. This is the price for having the right to pollute. This tax is paid to water agencies and state agencies that act for the quality of water (protection of rivers, flood control, irrigation...).
Why the price of water varies according to the municipalities
Unlike electricity, it there is no national water price. This one is fixed by the communes because it is produced locally. But it is the users who pay all the operating costs, the municipalities taking care of the management.
Many factors can influence the price, causing average price differences of 1 to 3 between cities (or up to 5 in some cases):
- Distance from sampling and / or treatment sites.
- Raw water quality.
- Size of the municipality and density of the population (clustered or scattered dwellings). In the tourist cities, the municipalities must in particular provide for larger treatment facilities.
- Type of resource (water table, lake or river water).
- Collective or individual sanitation (skeptical pit).
- Modes of management and financing of facilities (municipalities or groupings of municipalities).