- 1) Aloe
- 2) The azalea
- 3) Dieffenbachia
- 4) The oleander
- 5) The poinsettia
- 6) The begonia
- 7) Caladium or elephant ear
- 8) The ficus
- 9) The cherry tree / apple tree of love
- 10) The mistletoe
Indoor plants vegetate and decorate our interior. Yet some plants can be toxic and cause more or less severe disorders. Here is a selection of 10 toxic indoor plants for humans and pets.
10 poisonous plants for your home
Although aloe used for various cosmetic and pharmaceutical products (Aloé Verra), direct contact with the sap causes skin reactions. The aloe latex that is just the skin of the plant leads to the risk of diarrhea see a kidney inflammation if ingested
2) The azalea
Ingesting leaves and azalea flowers causes inflammation in the mouth as well as vomiting, nausea, hypotension if a large amount of leaves are absorbed and in the most severe cases, this can go to coma.
Contact with the dieffenbachia sap causes rash, itching and pain and swelling of the eyes in case of eye contact. Chewing or ingestion of the leaves / stems causes irritation of the oral mucosa and throat or swelling causing a speech disorder as well as digestive and respiratory problems.
4) The oleander
The laurel is a very toxic plant which causes symptoms such as irritation of the mouth, diarrhea, breathing difficulties to go in the most serious cases until coma or death. These effects occur several hours after ingestion, even in very small amounts. It must be handle with gloves because the sap of the oleander is just as toxic and do not burn it in the case of a dead shrub because the inhalation of the smoke is also harmful.
5) The poinsettia
Poinsettia is a flower that is usually found in our homes during the Christmas season. If swallowed, poinsettia can cause digestive disorders and when in contact with its sap it triggers skin irritations especially in people allergic to latex.
6) The begonia
Those are the Begonia leaves and sap that are harmful since they can cause skin and digestive problems but also breathing because of swelling of the mouth. Some species of begonia are more toxic than others.
7) Caladium or elephant ear
Beautiful little colorful plant, the contact or ingestion of any part of the caladium gives rise to irritation of the mouth and throat. There may be a risk of suffocation following swelling of the mouth and throat during a small ingested dose but this can result in coma and death in case of large doses swallowed.
8) The ficus
Ficus or rubber is certainly the most popular plant in interiors. The plant is not toxic in itself but it is the sap of the ficus that can cause irritation either cutaneous in case of simple contact or intestinal level if the leaves are ingested.
9) The cherry tree / apple tree of love
Ornamental plant with small colored berries, the cherry blossom causes a burning sensation in the mouth and throat but also fever, abdominal pain, gastroenteritis or vomiting when the berries are ingested. In case of massive ingestion, the apple tree can cause deadly intoxication.
10) The mistletoe
Often used at Christmas, the Mistletoe berries cause diarrhea and abdominal pain in children if ingestion of balls in large quantities. Symptoms of drowsiness, fever, weakness or worse asphyxiation are also possible.
When you have plants in your home, put them out of reach of low-aged children as well as pets.
However, if your child or your pet has been in contact with or has accidentally ingested one of them (even in a small quantity), immediately consult a poison control center or the 15 which will indicate the procedure to follow. Above all, do not drink or vomit your child or your pet that could make things worse.