- Reduce the humidity in the refrigerator
- Keep the potatoes
- Keep celery
- Keep the onions
- Keep the tomatoes
- Keep the salad
- Keep the mushrooms
- Keep carrots, turnips and beets
- Keep squash
- Keep the leeks
- Keep the zucchini
- Keep broccoli
- Keep cabbage
- Keep the peppers
Some people do not have time to come back to the primeur several times a week. They are then forced to buy vegetables in large quantities each time they do their shopping. However, it is necessary to know the preservation methods to ensure their freshness and flavor longer.
Reduce the humidity in the refrigerator
Humidity favoring decay food, it is necessary to reduce it to the maximum. To do this, it suffices tospread out paper towels in the crisper. In addition to promoting better conservation of vegetables, paper towels also allow keep the refrigerator clean. Indeed, some vegetables such as cucumber emit viscous substances quite difficult to clean.
Keep the potatoes
When the potatoes start to rot, just place an apple in the bag. The ethylene produced by the fruit helps keep this variety of tubers firm and fresh for weeks. You have to know that theethylene is good for potatoes, but it has the opposite effect on other vegetables and other fruits.
To keep celery longer, justpack in aluminum foil. It should not be stored in the refrigerator in a plastic bag. Indeed, plastic traps the gas released by this vegetable, which makes it rot faster. By letting this gas escape, celery lasts longer. However, it should not be left unpacked as it will dehydrate in just a few days. Aluminum foil protects it from dehydration while letting the gas escape.
Keep the onions
Onions are not stored in paper wrappers or parchment paper, but in a pair of tights and in a dry and dark place.
Keep the tomatoes
It is not recommended to store tomatoes in the refrigerator. It's better to put them in a bowl covered with a clean tea towel, to place in a dry, ventilated place and sheltered from the sun. The tomatoes will retain all their freshness and taste.
Keep the salad
The salad is kept in the refrigerator, packed in a bag. Simply put a sheet of absorbent paper in the bag to absorb moisture. After a few days, it is necessary to replace the paper towels.
To give a second youth to a yellowing and withered salad, simply dip it in a basin of water for about forty minutes.
Keep the mushrooms
Mushrooms do not support moisture. They must be packaged carefully in a paper bagthen in a airtight container, before being placed in the refrigerator.
Keep carrots, turnips and beets
Some vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, turnips and beets are better preserved when placed in a place dark and dry like the cellar for example. It is best to put them in a tray filled with dry sand.
Unlike other vegetables that are kept cool, squash keep warm. They are thus stored in a dry and ventilated place with a temperature between 15 and 20° C. Squash should not be placed on top of each other, as it promotes the spread of mold in the event that one of them is contaminated. Here's what to do:
- Install wooden battens or wooden shelves;
- Place the squash on the cleats with the peduncle upwards.
Keep the leeks
The leek goes into the preparation of many recipes. The ideal is to always have it at your disposal. When still whole, it will keep for about 10 days in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator. If it is cut and washed, white and green are kept separately in perforated plastic bags for 5 days. So that it can last more 2 months, the leek is stored in a cool and wet place, and this, unwashed.
Keep the zucchini
Being a vegetable of tropical origin, the zucchini does not stand the cold. The refrigerator is not the best place to keep it for a long time. It can keep its freshness for a week when placed in the cellar. To keep it longer, for more than 12 months, it must be frozen. To do this:
- Cut the zucchini into slices;
- Blanch for 2 minutes;
- Diving in cold water to cool them;
- Drain then on a rack;
- Freeze the slices spread on a plate and freeze;
- Once frozen, pack the pucks in a plastic bag and return to the freezer.
Here is the technique to keep all the freshness of broccoli for a week:
- Pour a little water into a bowl;
- Place the broccoli in the bowl, with the flower up and out of the bowl;
- Cover the broccoli's head with a perforated plastic bag;
- Refrigerate and change the water daily.
- Spray the broccoli's head with water;
- Cover the head with paper towels;
- Place in the refrigerator.
- To enclose broccoli in a perforated plastic bag;
- Place in the refrigerator.
To conserve cabbage effectively, you need to bring your own hermetic glass jar, a sterilizer and coarse salt. Here are the steps:
- To remove the cabbage;
- Blanch the leaves in boiling water for 10 minutes;
- Place the leaves in the jar;
- Pour the boiling water into the jar;
- Add a tablespoon of coarse salt;
- Close the jar and place in the sterilizer for 45 minutes at 100° C.
Keep the peppers
The pepper is preserved during 8 days in the refrigerator. To do this:
- Wipe the peppers with a clean cloth;
- Wrap in aluminum foil;
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- How to store food well: basic tips
- Clean fruits and vegetables treated with vinegar
- How to replace plastic and save at home?
- Tips for freezing food and saving money
This may interest you