Decorative waxed concrete can be made in many ways, but the "finished finish" is probably the easiest to master. Before starting work, remember to delimit the area to be treated. Make an expansion joint at the threshold of the doors, every 25 to 50 m².
- Drill, finned mixer
- 60 grain disc
- Disc to be seeded
- Microfibre mop
1. The waxed "concrete" used here is actually an ultrapolymer to be tempered in water at the rate of 1 volume of product per 1 volume of water. Using a finned mixer mounted at the end of the drill, knead the contents of the container to obtain a homogeneous paste that is neither too thick nor too liquid. Then mix the paste obtained with a primer, 1 volume of dough for 2 volumes of primer. Continue using the blender.
2. Pour the product on a surface not exceeding 1m². Spread it on the beaker or with a squeegee, taking care to respect the already existing expansion joints. The floor must be clean and perfectly flat. Then smooth the plaster using a single-disc machine that you have equipped with a 60 grit disc to remove roughness.
3. Fill a large bucket of empty plaster with water and pierce the cover to pass the mixer, then pour the finishing powder with the colored pigments. You can mix the powder without splashing. Using a sprayer, moisten your soil to slow down the setting of concrete and then apply the finishing coat with your trowel. It is best to apply two layers. Eliminate irregularities by sanding them with a single-disc machine with an abrasive disc.
4. Acrylic varnish must be spread in two stages. Begin by diluting the first layer to 50% then apply to the floor before stretching it with a microfiber mop. The second layer is applied pure. After allowing to dry for a good hour, you can remove the dust that would be encrusted in the varnish with the help of the monobrush on which you will have placed a disc to maple.
Do not confuse with real waxed concrete
The reported coating presented here should not be confused with a real waxed concrete which is an integral part of the building and whose realization is done at the construction of the house. The concrete slab, 8 to 10 cm, consists of sand, a mixture of gravel and pebbles, cement and water as well as any additives, a thin surface layer smoothed with specific materials ( helicopter) ensuring the finish of the assembly before the treatment "waxed". It's a business of very specialized professionals. Fragile, this slab requires regular maintenance.
Easier to make, the decorative waxed concrete is a simple surface mortar having the appearance of concrete.
The waxed concrete technique requires five different products. The products used here apply equally well to floors and walls.
The kit includes:
- Binder (pure or ready-to-use ultrapolymer)
- Primary hanging
- Finishing mortar to mix with colored pigments
- Liquid wax
(photos / visuals: © System D, except special mention)
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- Use decorative concrete for driveways or patios
- Questions answers
- Can we cover the floor with a walk-in shower with waxed concrete?
- How to strip a waxed coating?
- Paint wax concrete
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of waxed concrete?
This may interest you