In renovation, the floor of the floors is often particle board, a material that is economical, easy and quick to install. Different coverings can dress it, including tiling. For large areas, it will be advantageous to use a thin-set mortar to mix with water. "Dust free" products have the advantage of avoiding the formation of a cloud of powder at the moment of pouring the product into the trough. Large format tiles require double sizing. For a good adhesion of the adhesive mortar, apply a primer on the panels (let it dry before starting the installation of the tiling).
- Wool roll
- Bubble level
- Rubber mallet
- Notched glue comb
- Rubber squeegee
- Metallic rules
- Protective gloves
- Tile or tile cutter
- Dry cloth
- Preparation before laying the tiles
- Laying tiles
- Cutting tiles and finishes
Preparation before laying the tiles
1. Before starting tiling, in the case of two adjacent rooms, it is very important to ensure continuity from one room to another. To do so we use the technique of calepinage that allows to realize the cuts to achieve and minimize losses.
2. Here, the particle board floor must be covered with a universal primer. Use a mid-length woolen roll to spread the product. Allow 1 hour of drying before starting the tiles.
3. Pour the mortar into a trough (here it is a "dust-free" product that avoids the cloud of powder) and add water. Mix using a mixer mounted at the end of the drill to obtain a homogeneous paste without lumps. Once mixed, an adhesive mortar can be used for 3 hours.
4. The use of large tiles requires double sizing as indicated on the packaging of the adhesive mortar. Spread the mortar on the floor using a trowel and use a notched glue comb to obtain a regular layer.
5. Stick the entire back of the tiles and the edges with the trowel. Smooth in order to obtain a thin and regular layer of glue. Scrap the overflows.
6. Rest the tile by squeezing lightly so that the glue flows back to the sides for good adhesion. To level it, pat it with a rubber mallet. Control with a bubble level.
7. Continue laying the following tiles (double sizing) respecting the alignment of the tiles of the adjoining room. Check the flatness with a bubble level. You have 30 minutes after gluing to adjust the level and alignment of the tiles.
Cutting tiles and finishes
8. Measure the cuts to make. To cut, use a manual tile or an electric tile cutter. The electric tile cutter will be used outdoors because of splashing water and "sludge" that forms during cutting.
9. As you install, clean the overflow of fresh glue. Dry, it should be scratched by risking to scratch the tiles. Use a sponge regularly rinsed in clean water.
10. Always check the tile alignment with a large metal ruler. Lay braces, chosen for the desired joint width, for even spacing between tiles. Remember to remove them before taking the glue.
11. The joint paste is proposed here in powder, to mix in water. It allows to make flexible joints, able to absorb the dimensional variations of the panels. Prepare the dough 24 hours after laying the last tile. The product is available in packaging of 1.5 and 25 kg and in different shades. Mix the water and the powder in a trough with a mixer until a homogeneous paste is obtained.
12. Spread the mixture at the joints with a squeegee and divide diagonally with movements back and forth to penetrate the dough. Wait 15 to 30 minutes, then clean the excess with a damp sponge. Wipe the cement veil with a dry cloth 2 hours later.
(photos / visuals: © Bostik, except special mention)
On the same topic
- Questions answers
- How can one rectify a tiled floor?
- How to renovate a tiled floor on a wooden floor?
- Can we lay a new tile tiled floor?
- Can we establish a floor on a carpentry in small houses?
- How to put tiling on a wooden support?
- How to obtain homogeneous tile joints?
- Can you glue floor tiles on polystyrene?
- Should we remove the old tiles before putting a new one?
- DIY tips
- Tiling on old floor: preparation of the support
- Tiles and natural stones
- Tile of a bathroom
- Bostik soft floor glues
- DIY videos
- Tiling of the floor: preparation of the support
This may interest you