- Practical advice
- With or without safe
- Where to buy it?
- Trace the landmarks
- Drill and drive studs
- Block the turntables
- Engage the canvas in the slide
- Engage the lambrequin
- A cache to close the ends
- Install the support bar
- Adjust the winding and unwinding of the canvas
Very popular for shading a terrace or balcony, this type of shade modulates the light and protects it from solar radiation. Basic tools are enough to install this extra comfort.
Before purchase, take care of the measures. Nothing should interfere with the blind. If you choose a manually operated model, specify your choice for a crank on the right or left side of the blind.
If you have a motorized blind, enjoy the benefits of home automation. An anemometer system connected to the engine will be responsible for raising the awning in your absence if a strong wind comes to rise. This device protects the equipment from possible breakage, on a windy day.
The principle of operation of the awnings is quite simple: during the descent, a winding tube unwinds the fabric which is driven to the opposite by the weight of a load bar. To guide the movement and deploy the blind, the mechanism uses highly resistant articulated arms. These so-called "invisible" arms support the load well and can support the canvas up to 3.5 m from their anchor point (depending on the model). Another advantage, these arms do not interfere with the lateral passage under the awning when it is lowered quite low.
With or without safe
Manufacturers often opt for anodized or lacquered aluminum frames. Likewise, they are abandoning cotton fabrics for 100% acrylic dralon or PVC-coated (Screenglass) glass fiber woven fabrics, both of which are rot-proof.
● The most economical models do not have a weather protection box when the blind is folded. On the other hand, there are two categories of trunk (or casing) shades: versions with a "semi-trunk" that protects the rolled-up canvas from the rain and models with an integral cabinet that protects the arms and the fabric..
● For more comfort, conventional winding by crank is often abandoned in favor of a motorization system. particularly discreet, the arms are propelled by a tubular motor, integrated in the winding tube.
Where to buy it?
To equip you, you have the choice between: order from a craftsman who will install or purchase it by your own means (specialized department of a large DIY or by correspondence on catalog: La Redoute, Trois Swiss, Camif...). Made to the width of your choice, the blind is delivered ready to assemble.
● To install it yourself, simply fix the brackets securely and in perfect alignment. They are designed for mounting against a vertical wall (facade) or against a horizontal support (as here under the advance of the balcony of the upper floor). The rest then becomes a fairly simple operation to implement.
● For the motorized version, connect to a power supply protected by a 30 mA differential circuit breaker. The switch can be installed inside the house, near the bay window or outside with a waterproof switch.
● On the price side, consider for example a budget of € 800 for a 4m wide awning with a semi-protective aluminum box and a motorized maneuver. The whole offering an advance of 3 m when the projection is at the maximum.
Trace the landmarks
Three aligned plates will distribute the load. One is placed in the center of the awning and the other two near the point of articulation of the arms. Carefully trace your landmarks.
Drill and drive studs
Strong anchor bolts are required to ensure maximum pullout resistance. Drill and push the studs with the hammer, leaving a little thread for fixing.
Block the turntables
The tightening of the nut separates the fins located at the bottom of the stud. From the first turn of the key, resistance is important. Screw the nuts to the maximum to lock the plates.
Engage the canvas in the slide
The blind is often delivered with its canvas mounted. We removed it to show how to engage it in the slide (if this is not the case or during a possible replacement).
Engage the lambrequin
Same thing for the lambrequin. Again, you must engage the edge of the canvas and slip without forcing. Get help from someone who will slightly stretch the other side.
A cache to close the ends
A cover closes the ends of the load bar. To increase the life of the awning and the fabric, some manufacturers offer a custom guard.
Install the support bar
For two people, present and then engage the blind support bar in the decks. Once in place, a bolt comes to block the bar at each of the three decks.
Adjust the winding and unwinding of the canvas
Protected by a hood, this engine has two buttons that regulate the unwinding and winding of the canvas. The setting saved, the blind will not go further even if we insist.