A staircase for a young child is a danger. Nearly 10% of falls occur on the stairs. And the consequences can be very serious. So think about securing your stairs with a security fence.
The different types of security barrier
There are many models of security barriers.
- The majority is in the form of a small barrier with horizontal bars.
They exist in wood, wood and metal, metal (aluminum, lacquered steel).
For these barriers you will find two fastening systems:
- Screw fastener. You are sure that baby can not destabilize by pushing on it. But there will be traces of screws and holes when the cherub has grown and you can remove the barrier.
- Pressure fixation thanks to suction cups or cups. Simple to position, it leaves no mark when you remove it.
- Roller safety barrier. It is in the form of a box to screw. You can also install it directly on the stair rail without having to drill it. The barrier itself, made of flexible and strong material retracts into the reel when it is not unfolded. It becomes almost invisible. The flexible net prevents baby's fingers from getting caught and prevents climbing attempts. In addition, it can withstand impacts of 100 kg.
- Folding security barrier. In the same spirit as the roll-up barrier, it folds and unfolds like an accordion. The blades making up the barrier are made of solid ABS plastic.
These models are totally different from wooden cross bars that are completely discouraged as dangerous.
- Removable barrier. Practical and light, it is fixed by pressure and makes it possible to secure a staircase wherever you are. Nylon and fishnet, it folds easily and fits in its carrying bag.
Choose the safety barrier for your staircase
In order to make the right choice among the various models that you will find, it is necessary to take into account certain criteria. And do not forget to secure the top and bottom of the stairs.
- Check that the barrier complies with the safety standards in force: Standard NF EN 1930. They are a guarantee of quality of the materials and the design of the barrier.
The recommended minimum height is 73 cm. The spacing between the bars must be 9 cm (maximum 11 cm is tolerated). The child must not be able to maneuver the closing and opening system.
- Choose a adapted width to that of the staircase. All models with bars offer extensions that allow to adjust the dimensions. The roller models are up to 1.20 wide.
- Feel free to try the barrier opening system. When you have your little angel in your arms, be sure to choose a model that opens easily with one hand. The opening is in one direction or in both directions? Also check the closing system: automatic, semi-automatic or manual closing? With or without automatic or manual locking?
- Some barriers have a ground bar and a gate that opens. Beware then of the risks of falling by passing this threshold. Make sure that the gate is wide enough.
To read on the same subject:
- The stair nosing of a staircase
- Build a staircase
- Renovate a staircase