Boilers can present a risk of accidents, especially if they are misused or poorly maintained. One of the big risks is carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide poisoning
Carbon monoxide comes from incomplete combustion. This may be due to improper adjustment of combustion or poor maintenance of the boiler and the flue.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the most main causes of domestic intoxication. This gas is particularly dangerous because it is odorless and therefore difficult to detect. It causes the death of about 100 people a year in France.
Symptoms may include headache, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, mental confusion, fatigue. In cases of more serious intoxication, the victim may feel dizzy or comatose. Carbon monoxide can cause death.
What to do if you suspect monoxide poisoning of carbon? Ventilate the house immediately, stop the boiler if possible, evacuate and call for help (samu: 15, police: 17, firemen: 18, general: 112).
Fire or explosion of a boiler
The flue of your boiler may ignite due to poor maintenance, or if it is dirty, for example. The poor condition of your flue can also cause a backflow of gas and smoke inside your home.
The chimney sweeping is therefore very important!
Tips to avoid the risk of accidents
A qualified professional must service your boiler every year. Do it before winter for more security. The professional checks the condition of your boiler and cleans it. This is essential, as is the sweeping of the flue.
On the other hand, do not forget to air your home every day, even in cold weather, and do not obstruct the ventilation grilles. You can also purchase a carbon monoxide detector.
Check if your boiler has a safety mode in the event of a fault. In this case, it may stop operation to prevent any risk of accident.
The risks mentioned above relate in particular to combustion boilers. Electric boilers are not concerned for example. In any case, it is important to maintain your boiler efficiently.