The assembly of two pieces of metal can be done by gluing, with single-component glue, quick setting, suitable for copper, aluminum and steel, or two-component epoxy glue, usable for most materials.
- Emery cloth
- 2-component epoxy adhesive
- Wooden spatula
- Alcohol to burn
- Fast setting glue
- Preparation of the support
- Two-component epoxy glue bonding
- One-component adhesive gluing
Preparation of the support
1. Start by cleaning the surfaces to be glued, here a part of plate and an aluminum profile. Pick them with emery cloth.
2. Degrease them by rubbing them with a cloth soaked in trichlorethylene.
Two-component epoxy glue bonding
1. On a wooden board, or glass, place the adhesive and its hardener in equal parts. Mix them with a small wooden spatula.
2. Spread the mixture thus obtained on the two surfaces to be assembled.
3. Using two clamps, hold the two glued parts in contact. Wipe off the glue with a cloth lightly moistened with alcohol. Do not wait for drying; hardened, the burrs would be much more difficult to eliminate.
4. This glue cures in 24 hours at a temperature of 20° C, in 3 to 4 hours at 40° C (temperature obtained by placing the assembly on a central heating radiator for example), and in 45 minutes at 80° C (oven temperature).
One-component adhesive gluing
1. To assemble with a single-component, quick-setting adhesive, surfaces must be prepared as before, by stripping them with emery cloth and degreasing them with alcohol. Unscrew the tip of the glue tube and its cap; pierce with a pin, then replace the applicator tip. Apply the glue, in a very thin layer, on one of the pieces to be assembled.
2. Hold both parts in contact, using clamps, or by hand. Indeed, this product takes in 10 to 20 seconds. Wipe off excess glue with a cloth soaked in solvent. A trick for gluing decorating metals: moisten with precision the edge of the surface to be glued, the burrs will not take on the humidified metal.
(photos / visuals: © DIY-Prod, except special mention)
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- Aluminum, copper, lead, tin, zinc, alloys
- Iron, cast iron, steel and tinplate: use them well
- How to stick or glue objects?
- How to work metals?
- Clamping the metal
- Joinery: measurements and tracing
- ROLLAFIX TAPE RUBAN POWER REPAIR UHU
- Ideal for fastening objects to metal: DOUBLEfix UHU fixing pads
- Advantages of double-sided adhesive tape DOUBLEFIX EXTRA FORT UHU
- To be unbeatable on collage
- Redo the angle of a wall after depressing a partition
- old boiler forced air with oil
- Shelves in a metal locker (cloakroom) industrial
- What glue to use to assemble glossy paper on CTP media?
This may interest you