Solid wood, robust, It is a sirnple bench, whose rusticity suits the style of country furniture or regional. Its realization will allow you to reconnect with these assemblages which comes out the basis of woodworking. The tray consists of two non-joined boards arranged side by side. The base is formed of four feet united two by two by two spacers; then these double legs are themselves assembled with two crosspieces, lower and upper, the latter supporting the plateau in the center, in length.
- Mesureing tape
- Backpack saw
- Wood chisel
- Abrasive paper
1. Trace the mortises of the feet, two by two, with the square, hatching the part to remove so that no confusion is possible. Scheme of assembly of the solid wooden bench, List of the material.
2. The joints by tenons of the upper struts of the double legs are traced with the truscan, as for a bunching; the parts to be cut are hatched.
3. To the truscan too, draw the mortises to be made in the lower struts of the legs, to fix the lower crossbar.
4. Wide mortises are made with a wide wood chisel, without exceeding 30 mm of depth, here in the lower struts of the legs.
5. Saw with a saw, with a fine-cut back saw, the kerf inside the hatched section.
6. Remove with a wide wooden chisel to make a square housing in which the top rail will fit perfectly. The tenons of the lower struts of the legs are made with the saw to back, the kerf always in the hatched part for an exact cut.
7. The achievements of the saw-back tenons require a square cut, which you will achieve more accurately if you keep the parts in press.
8. The narrow mortises are realized with the chisel, with the mallet, the depth not exceeding 30 mm for our bench. The execution must be precise.
9. The tenons of the upper spacer are cut in the upper part for the mortise assembly, and not by interlocking.
10. After checking to dry, the double legs are assembled and glued with a mallet, without forcing; start with one side.
11. Pressing is essential to hold the assembly during the setting time of the glue (this is preferable to fast drying).
12. After assembling the double legs and glue, sand carefully with sandpaper mounted on a well-kept wood block.
13. Place the top rail in its housing with the mallet; adjust without forcing, which would burst the wood (do not stick).
14. in place of the lower crossbar in the wide mortise formed in the spacer of the double legs (without sticking either).
15. Assembly of ties on the second double leg, the whole forming the base of the bench. The technique used ensures a very good stability.
16. Drill the Harpoon bolt (6 mm ø) holding the sleepers. Mill to fit the bolt head.
17. Press the Harpoon Bolt, and tighten with the hexagon wrench supplied with the bolts.
18. The head is concealed by a plastic pad imitating a more decorative forged nail head.
19. The two boards constituting the bed of the bench are assembled to the base at the level of the upper struts of the legs with Harpoon bolts.
20. If you have not used boards cut length, saw the ends at 10 cm from the double legs of the base, with a handsaw.
21. Roughly trim the edges, internally, between the two boards as well, then sand the assembly to the fine sandpaper mounted on the shim.
22. Finish with a fungicide and tinting insecticide treating product. or with a varnish (after treatment) or with a lacquered paint of your choice.
(photos / visuals: © Diy-prod, except special mention)
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- How to make a wooden balustrade?
This may interest you