This small wardrobe, handy for all those who fear the eternal problem of lost keys, will also interest people who want to elegantly furnish their entrance. It's a simple realization.
- Metal ruler
- Folding Meter
- Carpenter's pencil
- Orbital sander
- Counter Saw
- Tabbed box
- Backpack saw
- Paint brushes
- Suspension tabs
- The sides of the key cabinet
- The box
- The key cabinet door
The sides of the key cabinet
1. The sides of the key box are made using fir slats 80 mm wide and 8 mm thick. Start by cutting two lengths of 60 cm. These two lengths correspond for each of them to the lengths added with a large and a small side.
Locate the location of the rabbet to be executed on the rear edges, rabbet that will receive the bottom of the cabinet. Place a planing guide on the rabbet path. Secure it with two clamps. If you do not have a guide on your workbench, dig the rabbet by successive passes of a metal planer. Be careful not to go over the track!
2. The four-sided assembly is tabbed. According to the dimensions indicated by the diagram, mark on each of the two lengths, the large (35 cm) and the small side (25 cm). Take care to take your measurements at the bottom of rabbet or otherwise, proceed as shown in the photo.
3. Do the same for both ends of each piece. Hatch the parts to eliminate to avoid making mistakes. Then saw with a handsaw, taking care not to burst the wood.
4. On a 10 mm thick plywood panel, measure and trace a rectangle taking into account the interior dimensions formed by the four joined sides, added to the depth of the groove. Then saw with a handsaw.
5. The sides are assembled using extended wood glue on the cuts.
6. The bottom, placed in the rabbets, is also assembled by gluing and reinforced by nailing. Thus set up, the bottom serves as reinforcement to the assembly of the sides.
7. Sand the entire box with medium-grit sandpaper, then thin, mounted on a flat wooden block. You can also use an orbital sander
The key cabinet door
8. The door is cut from a plywood panel 10 mm thick. The top is rounded. This pattern is obtained following the profile of a curved molding.
9. Cut the door following the outside of the line. The curved molding is positioned so that the center of the top of the curve is equidistant from each end of the panel.
10. The door is indeed decorated on all its perimeter of moldings that you will find easily in the trade. There are many models, so you can choose the style of this element. Start by making all necessary cuts using a miter box.
11. Their assembly is done on the door. Glue the inner side of the chopsticks, face in contact with the door. Assemble and finish fixing, after drying, with small spikes (seed) that you press into the hollow part of the molding.
12. For the decoration of the door, we have placed, inside the frame, formed by the moldings, a plywood panel 5 mm thick. The calculation of the dimensions of such a panel is a function of the centering that is desired. Once the first cut is made, place the board in position on the door. A stick or a strong cardboard, cut according to the profile of the molding, slides along the latter and thus serves as a tracing guide.
13. Following the rounding of a molding, the pattern obtained is identical to that of that of the curved molding. Sand the board, glue one of its faces and put it in place. Press hard, then press.
14. The door is hinged with a piano hinge. You must therefore dig a rabbet in the amount of the box and in the inner face of the door, to be able to lodge it. Dig the planer as for the first rabbet. Present the hinge frequently in the rabbet to check as and when.
15. When the rebate is large enough, secure the hinge with small brass spikes.
16. The door is closed by means of a magnetic latch attached to the internal side of the cabinet. Locate the location, pre-drill with a twist and screw.
17. In the same way, you will have to choose the location of the door knob, and after having primed the hole with a twist, screw it into position.
18. For a good finish, we have plated the door chants. The easiest way is to use a 10 mm band which is fixed with an iron according to the heat-sealing process. Cut the veneer with the cutter.
19. Other surfaces are dyed. For the interior of the cabinet, we used a liquid wood stain which is applied with a brush.
20. For the exterior, in order to give the wood its patina, we opted for a tinting wax whose color must be chosen in harmony with the entrance of the apartment.
21. To hang keys, attach hooks to chopsticks that are also dyed. Cut three 21 cm chopsticks of rectangular section. Fix them on the bottom, in a regular way to allow the hooking of the keys, the brass hooks used for their suspension.
22. You still have to screw in the upper part of the back of your wardrobe two ice flaps to hang it. Depending on the nature of the support (if it is a wall, for example), you will need to drill and then peg.
(photos / visuals: © DIY-Prod, except special mention)
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- DIY: make a frame with chopsticks
- Network support of a miniature train
- Make a mailbox
This may interest you