The Content Of The Article:

We have just signed a notary sale agreement for a house of 2009. Decennial certificates have been provided to us but the owners have not taken any damage. We have just seen cracks and crevices that follow the rubble. After investigation we learned that the mason had done the work without supplies (only labor), it is the owners who provided the materials. In this case that is worth the decennial of the mason and can one cancel the purchase of this good. Info on the crack: located in the middle of the rear facade which from above (right) and which at the level of a window at the bottom part follows the rubble stones (between 1 and 2 mm). Non-loamy soil, no soil survey, no wells, 60 foundations, 1B seismic zone

Although the purchase of a property damage insurance is legally mandatory when you carry out work inducing a ten-year guarantee, it is not formally necessary for the sale of the property, it being understood that you must have been informed, which seems to be the case.

Article L.271.1 of the Construction and Housing Code allows the cancellation of the sales agreement within a period of seven days. The date to be taken into account is not the day of the signature but the day after the day of reception of the before contract. After this period, be aware that the sale of a good may be lawfully canceled in the presence of "hidden defects" of the thing sold or latent defects.

These two terms include all the defects which render the house unfit for the use for which it is intended, or which diminish the use so much that the purchaser would not have acquired it, or would have given a lesser price, if he had known them.

The ten-year guarantee primarily concerns the implementation of the materials and to release them under these, it would be necessary for the mason to show a hidden defect in the products he has implemented and which, as a professional he is supposed to have checked the quality. The decennial therefore seems valid.

The crack you describe may simply result from the "work" of the house that is recent. It may be only a problem of cracked plaster and not a structural problem. Check that the crack is "dead" then follow our detailed tips in the sheet CRACKS ON A WALL.

All this, of course, without absolute guarantee (possibly consult an expert and a lawyer).

On the same topic

  • Questions answers
    • Understand the scope of the property damage insurance
    • How dangerous is a crack in a stair climb?
    • Works under guarantee of perfect completion
  • products
    • What to check before buying a house

This may interest you

Video Instruction: Law's Almost Death Combo (158 Damage)