- Practical advice
- What to do
- Remove the fixing screws
- Mark the screw holes
- Fix the headrest
- Fix the lock
- Fix the cache
- A plate for the axis of the handles
- Reduce the game
The exterior joinery is very exposed to bad weather. Rarely oiled, their lock deteriorates, sometimes until the break of its combs and springs. Just like the key, because of repeated forcing in his home. Spare parts are not marketed, so replace everything.
■ Opposite the handle, the square axis has a series of holes for a second handle pinned with a point. If the gaps between holes are too large, place on this axis one or two compensation washers.
■ To enlarge or misalign the old keyway, use a round file such as a "rat tail" or a conical drill bit.
■ After assembly, oil all moving parts: follower, bolt, spout, to avoid friction.
Gate locks are often horizontally applied and operated by a grooved key. In case of replacement, it is necessary to try to find the same model or, failing that, as close as possible. Its choice must take into account certain parameters, including the opening direction of the joinery when pushed from the outside to the inside. It is then called "right" or "left".
You must also measure the distance between the headrest and the keyway: it is commonly 52 mm. Ditto between the headrest and the axis of the operating handle, which rotates in the lock follower (often 110 mm). Also make sure that the chosen model has a sufficient level of security.
What to do
We took advantage of the rehabilitation of the portal, quite corroded, to change the faulty lock. It was originally fixed in three points, the fourth falling into the void. Specifically, two short Ø 4 x 10 mm screws secure the headrest to the door jamb, while a countersunk screw Ø 5 x 35 mm, tightened by a bolt, holds the lock case on a horizontal angle.
● Disassembly is carried out by removing the screws securing the lock, then the two handles (one on each side) and their square axis 6 x 6 mm. If the screws are blocking, spray a stain remover or warm them moderately with the soldering lamp.
● The new lock has the same dimensions as the old one, except at the two fixing holes of the headrest. These do not have the same spacing and it is necessary to pierce the corresponding amount. The lock is clamped into position with the aid of a clamp, the axes of these holes are marked with the needle, drilled with a HSS drill Ø 3.3 mm, then tapped at M4 x 70.
● The lock once fixed, the key passage is embellished with a small cache (provided) which is placed at the outlet of the barrel. After piercing the support (Ø 3 mm) through its perforations, the cover is fixed by four rivets "pop". The square axis is engaged later in the follower and maintained by the shoulder of the handle. It also receives a sheet metal plate provided with a large calibrated hole, fixed after drilling by four other rivets.
● It was easier to keep the existing lock than to grind it for a new one. But a test of operation reveals too much play of the bolt in its housing. To reduce space, a piece of flat iron is attached to the inside of the striker. Welded with the bow, it is rectified with the grinder then finished with the file.
Remove the fixing screws
Begin by removing the screws securing the lock. If they resist, spray off the stain remover or heat them with the soldering lamp. Then remove the handles and their square axis.
Mark the screw holes
Position the new lock and flange it with a clamp. Here, the key and handle axis passages coincide but not the screw holes of the headrest. They are marked with the needle.
To drill the thick metal, such as the angle of the gate, it is advisable to lubricate the drill with a drop of cutting oil. Likewise, set your drill to slow speed.
Fix the headrest
To fix the headrest with metal screws Ø 4 x 10 mm, the two holes are tapped by successively mounting on the left-hand turntable a blank, an intermediate tap and a finisher.
Fix the lock
The fixing of the lock is completed, as originally, by pressing a third screw Ø 5 x 35 mm in the upper left corner. This screw is tightened by an invisible nut from the outside.
Fix the cache
On the outside, the keyway receives a cover provided with the lock. After drilling pilot holes, the plate is fixed by four "pop" rivets placed with a special pliers.
A plate for the axis of the handles
The axis of the handles is also embellished with a plate. It must be introduced first in the follower to center the hole of the cover, which is fixed with the same rivets "pop".
Reduce the game
When closing, the bolt floats a little too much in its housing. To reduce the clearance between the two leaves, a flat iron 8 mm wide was welded inside the existing striker.