This 1930 night table had been repainted. The first thing to do is to strip the wood to expose it. Finishing sanding and scraping of hard-to-reach areas will be necessary to remove paint. A treatment against xylophagous insects will finish the preparation of the piece of furniture which will finally be able to receive a finish either waxed or varnished. Attention: the use of the stripper requires some precautions! Wear goggles and gloves.
- Flat brush
- Painter's knives
- Steel wool # 2
- Strip a painted wood
- Treat a bared wood
Strip a painted wood
1. Pour paint stripper in a plastic container preferably or in an old bowl and close the can. This precaution must become a reflex, many accidents resulting from the accidental spilling of stripper. Spread the product on the paint with a flat brush. As it is presented in the form of gel, you do not risk running, even on the vertical walls. Work in full panels.
2. Let the product work until the paint blisters. With a painter's knife, scrape the paint layer (s), attacked by the paint stripper, until the wood appears. For this type of work, it is good to have knives of different widths (4, 6 and 8 cm for example).
3. If the flat parts are easily scratched by the painter's knife, the worked areas can not withstand the same treatment. Use # 2 steel wool to remove most of the paint from the paint stripper, then rinse with hot water.
4. Allow a day to dry in a well-ventilated room, then sand and sand the raised areas where there will be some traces of paint. Use the tip of a knife to remove the last remaining paint, housed at the bottom of the carved parts.
Treat a bared wood
1. Take advantage of the baring of the wood of this piece of furniture to treat it against the attacks of xylophagous insects. The use of the product presented in gel greatly facilitates the treatment. Put on protective gloves for this operation.
2. Do not neglect to treat the interior of the furniture even if no symptoms of attack are apparent. Emphasize precisely those little visible parts that are the favorite places for the development of insect attacks. You will then have to finish the furniture according to your taste: waxed or varnished.
(photos / visuals: © Véraline, except special mention)
Respect and care of wood are the values of VERALINE. Prepare, stain, varnish, vitrify, wax, for all these interior works VERALINE has the solution that suits you. Adapted to each essence of wood, VERALINE has the product which you need.
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- Wood varnishing: products and techniques
- Maintenance and repair of wood
- Apply white lead on a command to restore
- Build yourself a rustic solid wood bench
- Restoration of an antique furniture
- Grinding wedges and flexible abrasives 3M
This may interest you