- Shimmering colors
- Drill the trays
- Drill the bits
- Apply alternately red and black
- Coat stencils
- Sand, paint and varnish the grounds
- Paint and laquer your feet
- Paint golden patterns
- Fit the table
- Nail the faces
Simple to make, this small double tray table seems straight out of an Asian furniture store. Its charm asset: it is perfectly symmetrical but with different decorations, which allows the return at will to change mood.
Two 55 cm side trays, eight feet of turned wooden bed and the same number of curtain rod ends are the basic materials needed. Add about 2.20 m of 10 mm square, stencils reproducing Chinese characters, some decorative products (glossy paints, gilding wax, varnish) and you are ready for the realization.
● Cut in Triply 10 mm thick, the trays offer sufficient rigidity. If you want to increase the size, use 15mm. The balls feet have a diameter of 70 mm and a height of 100 mm. Placed on both sides of the table, they adorn it while allowing to return it. You can make two decors adapted to two different functions: game table and living room for example. In the present case, the same patterns are used on the double-sided table, but by inverting their color and that of the background.
● Gathered two by two by their base, the ends (of Ø 35 x 50 mm) take place between the trays. Drilled (Ø 6 mm) on a depth of 20 mm, they are assembled between each other and at the feet thanks to double threaded screws (supplied). These fasteners having a diameter of 8 mm, the assembly takes place a little strength to ensure better hold.
The Triply is a very decorative material, often used in layout. Start by covering successively the two faces of each plate, one of black glycerophtalic lacquer, the other of red. The painting (range "Nuance" of Dulux Valentine) applies undiluted.
● After about six hours of drying, spread the golden wax ("Empire Gold" Gédéo) to the cotton wick by small surfaces. Fluid, it is introduced in all the interstices but slides on the slats of Triply, thus revealing the background color.
● Cover the feet and end caps with two coats of black paint. Let it dry again, then use a fine brush with stylized "Oriental" patterns. To color them, get a tube of ring "Gold" (Pébéo). Finally make a red liseret at the joining of the ends and under the ball of the feet.
Original! The Chinese characters are reproduced with the smoothing coating (applied with the spatula) to give them a slight relief. They are then painted black and varnished to highlight them. The stencils (Les Décoratifs) have been cut into rectangles so that they can be arranged in a circle around a central motif.
● The finishing touch is provided by mitered square brackets and pointed at the edges of the trays. They are painted red and black so as to create each time a border that contrasts with the background of each face of the table.
Drill the trays
Cut the trays in the store, adjusting the thickness of the Triply to the desired size. After precise marking, drill them in the corners, at 50 mm from the edges, with a bit of Ø 8 mm.
Drill the bits
To prepare the mounting of the end pieces, hold their base in a bench press and drill their top with a wick of Ø 6 mm. Be sure to drill straight and in the axis, 20 mm deep.
Apply alternately red and black
Alternately apply the black and red colors on both sides of each tray. When the paint has completely dried, spread the wax to brown in small areas with a cotton wick.
The duplication of Chinese characters can be done in stride. Arrange the stencils to your liking and fill them with smoothing plaster spread with a spatula. Let it dry for at least two hours.
Sand, paint and varnish the grounds
Remove the stencils and finely sand the patterns to smooth out the corners and encourage the paint to stick. Then replace them to apply the black color. After drying, varnish.
Paint and laquer your feet
Paint the tips and the feet in black, using a second brush to manipulate them. Brush the first layer with the fine abrasive, so that the next takes a beautiful lacquered appearance.
Paint golden patterns
Assemble the pairs of bits using their own double-threaded screws. Then paint on it, as well as on the feet, the golden motives made of dots and lines. Finish with the red liserets.
Fit the table
Mount the table by connecting the ends and feet balls with the screws of the latter, passed through the holes of the trays. If the holes are aligned, the elements must be aligned too.
Nail the faces
Miter sawn slats with good measurements, paint two facing faces in red and the third in black. Once dry, nail them to the edges of the trays alternating the shades.