Structural work or finished work, the concrete possess properties that allow to use it everywhere in the house. Concrete slab screed, patching or contemporary flooring, concrete and mortar play the card of versatility
Whatever the method of construction (wood, terracotta, blocks...) a house must be built on a solid foundation. To achieve perennial foundations, concrete is an essential material.
Mit implemented in accordance with the NF EN2016-1 standard, the concrete allows to build a concrete slab on land-full or on a crawl space. This material is very resistant to compression but is not very resistant to traction. It is therefore necessary to integrate in the thickness of the concrete slab a reinforcement consisting of welded mesh. To determine the type of concrete slab a soil study is done according to the building permit.
To know:The thickness of a slab varies according to use. So to make a slab on land-full the thickness of concrete is 8 to 10 cm and 15 cm on an unstable ground. For a construction on crawl space the thickness of the slab is 15 cm.
Depending on the needs of your site, it is necessary to correctly dose the used components, all of which play a well-defined role:
• Cement binds components together
• Aggregates gather sand, chippings... they bring concrete some properties like resistance. Note that the choice of aggregates plays a major role in the life of the concrete.
• Water helps hydrate the cement and give it its binder power. You can use rainwater as long as it does not contain any impurities. To ban salt water which because of the salt weakens the concrete
Finally, depending on the dimensions of the concrete slab you can either rent a concrete mixer and mix the components yourself (see dosage below) or use a concrete plant that will deliver the desired amount of concrete. Ready to use this type of concrete has a cost but saves time and fatigue during the work.
The dosage of concrete according to its use
In partnership with Guidebeton.com
(photos / visuals: © Frédéric Burguière / Concrete Guide, except special mention)
On the same topic
- Questions answers
- Concrete in 5 questions about the difference between a slab and a screed
- Preparation and use of mortar in 5 questions
- DIY tips
- 3 techniques for making a concrete slab
- Cement, lime, sand, gravel and light aggregates: the "binders"
This may interest you