- Practical advice
- Tenon and mortise
- Identify the cause
- The repair
- Unpack the door
- Inject and spread the glue
- Push the trunnions
- Dry and go to press
- Sand and coat
- To paint
- Lubricate the axis of the hinges
Movable wooden structures, such as door leaves or window openings, suffer from the hassle of everyday life. As long as they are content to take the game, it is not too serious. But when an assembly breaks, it is necessary to intervene urgently, before the damage is irreparable.
As their name suggests, the metal brackets are only of interest to maintain squareness. Their use to reinforce an exploded mortise or a broken tenon is a false good solution.
● The planing of a door sill is easy on the transom, but the end wood work can shatter the amounts at the passage of the iron. To avoid this problem, place a wedge block in the stop, hold it with a clamp, or plan the ends inwards. Otherwise, use a sander.
Tenon and mortise
Tenon and mortise joints are widely used in joinery and cabinet making to join two wooden elements. The tenon, male part of the assembly, engages in a notch practiced in the other part, the mortise. Generally bonded, and offering good guarantees of squareness, this type of assembly is particularly appreciated in the manufacture of doors and windows. The sleepers are tenoned, and the amounts mortised.
● Disadvantage of the process, the tenon-mortise pair weakens the wood. Because the thickness of the tenon and the cheeks of the mortise is only one third of that of the pieces. The risks are the breakage flush with the levelings (for the tenon) and the bursting of a cheek (for the mortise), when the assembly is subjected to a major effort.
● The most classic examples are: the opening of a window wedged in the frame, a solid wood door that forces on rusty hinges, a door whose low crossbar or the uprights rub on the floor. Same thing for the door that always bangs against the plinth, in the absence of bumper.
Identify the cause
No need to repair without remedying the cause of the damage! The rusty hinges are easy to spot: their rotation leaves a slight reddish mark on the wood of the frame. Rust can also prevent the door from being knocked off. It is then necessary to unscrew the hinges to work them in the vice and make them their mobility. Use a penetrating oil, heat as needed. Then lubricate their axis.
● If the problem is a rub on the floor due to the swelling of the wood and causing a blockage in the frame, plan the crossbar or the upright at the desired location. As for the absence of stopper, to overcome it is not complicated.
Consolidate an exploded mortise does not present real difficulties. Well done, this repair guarantees a satisfactory durability under normal conditions of use. Apply as in our photos, a vinyl wood glue, together with the installation of trunnions in the thickness of the assembly, gives the final a homogeneous whole very solid, but not removable.
● If you wish to preserve the possibility of dismantling later, use the glue on the fracture, avoiding reaching the post when going to press. And stick - if necessary - the tenon in the mortise with an animal glue, reversible.
Unpack the door
The fracture is easily identifiable: the paint "jumped" all along the break line. To disengage the door, a small lever dedicated to this kind of work proves particularly practical.
The consolidation pins (Ø 8 mm) will be pressed two-thirds of the thickness of the amount. The drilling is done with a depth stop, positioned accordingly on the wick.
Inject and spread the glue
Spread the splintered wood slightly with the blade of a screwdriver. Inject the glue into the slot, then spread it with a small piece of paper to distribute it on the parts to be repaired.
Push the trunnions
Paste inside the holes. Hand in the glued sticks, then push them into the mallet to the bottom of the slot, taking care not to stagger the repaired glow.
Dry and go to press
Wipe the traces of glue with the damp sponge before putting the repair in press. Respect the drying time given by the manufacturer. With metal clamps, use martyrs.
Sand and coat
Squeeze the trunnions, then sand to even the surface of the wood. To complete the work, apply a coat of wood smoothing plaster with a painter's knife, and sand again.
To complete the repair, repeat the painting where the wood has been exposed, if necessary in two layers. If the shade is respected, this is enough to hide any trace of the accident.
Lubricate the axis of the hinges
Before reassembling the door, lubricate the hinge pins. Use a cotton swab or a match if necessary to deposit a hint of grease inside the female hinge.