With time, cracks often appear in the wood of furniture. We must quickly stop their evolution, to avoid irreversible deterioration.
Consolidate a damaged panel
- Cut a medium plate to the size of the repair to be made.
- Use a jigsaw equipped with a medium-toothed blade.
- Glue the piece of medium to the fish glue, using a flat brush.
- Advantage of animal glue, it allows a disassembly in case of error.
- Position the plate in the place to be consolidated, here, the back of the seat of a wooden chair.
- Keep the collage in place for several hours.
Close a crack in the wood
- Cut two wooden wedges the length of the slot.
- Then drill them right through to the diameter of the hardware (the number of holes depends on the length).
- On the back of the cabinet, secure the shims on each side of the slot to the fish glue.
- Once the shims are in position, allow the glue to dry overnight for perfect adhesion.
- Connect the two shims with a bolt and a nut.
- Tighten gently with a wrench.
- By getting closer, the two wedges will close the slot.