- Go through the administration: a must step
- Particular cases and neighborhood, elements to take into account
If you want to build a garage for your home, it is imperative to respect the regulations in force. Whether you live in a low-traffic area or in an urban area, you will not escape this obligation.
Construction of a garage, regulations in force
Go through the administration: a must step
The construction of a garage necessarily requires permission of the municipality of the municipality concerned. After calculating the authorized area, you will need a carefully prepared file and submit your application before starting work.
If the building surface is less than 20 m², it will simply be necessary to make a preliminary declaration of works in town hall. Otherwise, in the case where the surface is more than 20 m²it is a building permit that you will need to obtain, a longer process to establish.
Here is a table summarizing the documents to provide for the constitution of your file:
|Prior declaration of work|
It is highly recommended to call upon an architect to support you in your steps. It is good to know that if your expansion increases the living space of more than 170 m², the call to an architect becomes an obligation.
We recommend that you inform yourself about the documents to provide as they may differ depending on the type of construction of your garage. It is also necessary to consult the local urban plan and the coefficient of occupation of grounds of your commune to know if your building site is in correlation with the rules defined by these documents.
Particular cases and neighborhood, elements to take into account
Other factors also require great attention:
- if you want to add a window to your garage, remember to respect the distance rules,
- if your building is less than 500 meters from a historical monument, you will need to consult the architect of the Buildings of France to validate your project,
- if you wish to install running water and a sewage system in your garage, a sewerage connection tax will be payable,
- in the case of a garage expansion, the property tax will also increase.
At the slightest doubt, the urban planning department of your municipality is here to answer your questions.
Before starting the development work, it is wise to inform your neighbors because, in fact, your construction should not disturb your neighborhood. It will therefore be necessary to check that your garage:
- do not spoil the vis-à-vis your neighbors;
- let the sun pass,
- is not too close to the property of your neighbors,
- do not block the passage of your neighbors if they enjoy an easement of passage.
If the rules imposed by the municipality are not respected, your neighborhood may require the destruction of your garage. It is therefore advisable to establish a dialogue with them and inform them of your work in order to avoid a possible dispute or many disagreements.