If some restaurants still expose them, the copper pot batteries hanging on the wall, have disappeared from most interiors, even in the countryside. But it often remains in the homes, some utensils of this metal, loaded with memories or reported trips. In simple decoration, the heat of the brass is an important element to hang notes of light but it is necessary that they are well maintained because like the silver, the copper oxidizes with the air and tarnishes.
- Cotton to draw
- Steel wool n° 000
- Protective gloves
- Polishing cloths
- Deoxidizer for copper
- Cream of poeslier
- Embellishment cream for copper
- Metal varnish
- White wax
- Solid surfaces
- Pieces chiseled or crafted
1. Left in the open air without maintenance and in a high hygrometry, the copper utensils are quickly tarnished, blackened and even worse, revealing verdigris.
2. The deoxidizing product for copper (red) can also be used for brass (yellow copper), bronze or tin. Wear gloves, rub the oxidized surfaces with a cotton wick soaked in pure deoxidizer. The cotton to be avoided avoids scratching the surface of the metal, which would be likely to make a steel wool, so fine it is.
3. On the deoxidized surfaces, then pass the cream of the poesliers to restore the metal all its brightness. Put a little product on the metal, rub with the cotton wick until you get a nice shine. Do not hesitate to change the wick, the work will be facilitated. In case of food part, wash with very hot soapy water and rinse thoroughly. Wipe dry, then polish. To save the brightness of the piece of copper, it is sufficient that the metal is isolated from the ambient air. The application with a brush of a metal varnish or a very light veil of colorless wax fulfills this condition. To obtain a thin film, it is necessary to heat, with the precautions of use, the wax or the varnish.
4. For brass, brass or worked or chiselled bronzes, use the deoxidizer if their condition requires it. No longer having to deal with plain surfaces, the use of wool pads of very fine steel No. 000 becomes possible because undoubtedly more effective.
Pieces chiseled or crafted
5. Then apply the embellishment cream to find the polish of these pieces. Very fluid, this cream does not clog the worked or carved parts. Shine and polish with a soft cloth. A waxed or glazed protection can then be applied.
(photos / visuals: © Libéron, except special mention)
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- Metals: tips and tricks
- Maintenance of marble furniture
- Pewter: restoration and glossy patina
- Maintenance of silverware
- Maintenance of copper objects
- Maintenance of tin objects
- Maintenance of iron objects
This may interest you