A cellar door must not be waterproof. The ambient air is generally quite confined. It is therefore necessary that your cellar can breathe and not be closed by a solid door whose tightness could cause the appearance of mold. Whatever the stored material, this type of mushroom is always a source of inconvenience or damage. It is to avoid them that a cellar door must be made clear. But it must also be strong enough to withstand possible burglary.
- Folding Meter
- Wood wick
- Wood chisel
- Pipe wrench
- Realization of the cross-uprights
- Fix the boards on the sleepers
- Setting up the door
Realization of the cross-uprights
1. From the measurements of the opening, draw at the same time the two side jambs of the door as well as the three crosspieces, made of a resinous wood at least 27 mm thick.
2. Saw the 3 sleepers to the exact length that corresponds to the width of the door.
3. Temporarily assemble the clamps, the lateral crossmember assembly and then make the holes in the center of the assemblies with a bit of diameter slightly greater than that of the bolts.
4. Put the bolts in the 6 holes made. Do not forget to insert washers on each side. They will prevent the tightening, made with two keys, flat or pipe, the bolt heads and nuts do not sink into the wood.
Fix the boards on the sleepers
1. Arrange the intermediate boards between the two side jambs assembled and bolted together.
2. Use a cleat to create a regular 2 to 3 cm gap between boards when nailing.
3. Apply to skew but in opposite directions, two long nails per board on each crossbar or make these fixings with bolts but which may be thinner than those used for the assembly jamb-sills or better still with bolts stove with rounded head laid outside.
Setting up the door
1. After assembly is complete, trace and saw up and down the door after reporting the floor level and ceiling profile.
2. Mark in pencil, placing the blanks on the edge of an upright, the outline of the hinges. Make the cuts with a chisel.
3. Screw in the hinges and put in place the lock, which must be securely fastened with through bolts.
4. Plaster seal the fastening tabs of the two jamb posts on each side of the opening.
5. Nail a batten on one of the jambs to form a rebate on the side of the lock. Present the door to determine on the dormant, on one side, the exact position of the hinges relative to the hinges and the other, that of the bolt of the lock. Secure these accessories.
6. Put the door in place by engaging the hinges of the door on the hinges fixed on the frame. The darkness of a cellar, if recommended for the preservation of wine, is also an element at least not an incentive to burglary, unlike a cellar with exposed content, visible through the clear path of the door.
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- Saw the wood by hand and machine
- Make slatted doors
- Realization of a table-established for the workshop
- Make yourself a flat door
- How to make a round and removable wooden table?
This may interest you