Cutting the metal requires different tools depending on the nature, thickness or shape of the material that is to be worked. Most are hand-held and cut into the metal without modifying the measurements since they do not remove the thickness of a saw blade. On the other hand, the grinder equipped with a cutting disc belongs to the category of saws since it removes a part of the metal. This is a note not to be overlooked in case of precision cutting.
- Zipper claw
- Universal scissors
- Sheet metal shear
- Pipe Cutter
- Straight-billed shear
- Searing shears
- Angle grinder
- Cutouts with different shears
- The peculiarities of the nibbler
- The tube cutter
Cutouts with different shears
1. Shears are mainly used to cut metal sheets. The claw (black) is used to cut zinc.
Let's mention the tools presented here:
1. zinc plow;
2. universal scissors;
3. sheet metal shears;
4. straight-nosed shears;
5. shearing shears;
2. The cutting of a plate of small width is done with a shears with straight beak. Cut the sheet with the back of the nozzle, it takes less effort and does not damage the metal.
3. The sheet metal cutter is used for cutting in length. The narrow metal band curls itself under the effect of the blades of the shears. The spout can rest on the work table or be raised. Always immobilize the sheet of metal.
4. To cut circles, use a shearing shear. There are shears that cut to the right or to the left. The work of the jaws of the shears always deforms the leaves, it is then necessary to put the piece in shape.
The peculiarities of the nibbler
1. The sinuous cuts are made with a nibbler. This tool has two branches, like a shear, and is maneuvered in the same way. The cutting iron loosens a very narrow band of metal that wraps around itself. The iron of the nibbler is easily removed and changed (depending on the work done).
2. The nibbler can also make straight cuts, without causing any distortion on the piece of metal.
3. The nibbler is particularly suitable for cutting irregularly shaped parts or stovepipes.
4. To cut a piece into a pipe, first drill a hole on the perimeter of the circle to be removed and engage the iron of the nibbler.
The tube cutter
1. The claw is used to cut zinc leaves. It is a simple blade, hard and curved, fixed on a wooden handle. After tracing, place a metal ruler on the plate and cut out by pressing on the edge of the ruler. Press hard and draw a regular groove. After passing the claw, the leaf carries a triangular bleeding; separate the two parts of the zinc sheet by folding. The claw always handles by pulling towards you (and not by pushing): this gives more strength and avoids any slippage.
2. The pipe cutter is used for plumbing to cut copper pipes, common diameters used for water supply. It is handled by hand: one holds the pipe cutter, the other the tube to work. This tool looks like a kind of vice with two jaws: one of them fixed, with rounded hollow profile so that the tube rests without deforming, the other mobile, and equipped with a small cutting wheel very hard (with tungsten carbide). Tighten the movable jaw against the tube with a screw. Hold the tube cutter by its handle and rotate it around the tube. Tighten the knob on the tube and make a new turn. Repeat this operation until the copper is completely cut.
3. This pipe cutter has a deburring iron on its upper part. It serves to rid the inner perimeter of the tube, after cutting, of all the irregularities and plots of metal, so that the cut is clean and the tube clean. Without deburring, the assembly would be less solid, moreover, when the water passes through the tube, the metal plots catch the impurities and cause, in the long run, clogging.
4. There are large tube cutters for cutting large diameter tubes. They work according to the same principle by progressive tightening of a cutting wheel and rotation of the tool around the tube. To work on large diameter tubes, they must be fixed between the jaws of the vice. There are also models of chain cutters for large diameters.
5. To quickly cut some metal parts (bars and profiles), use a grinder equipped with a cutting disc. An angle grinder is a power tool that can be used to abrade and cut. The body of the machine stands securely with both hands. This device ensures a fast rotation (more than 6,000 rpm empty) of the cutting disc. Secure the workpiece securely to prevent accidents. For fast (serial) and accurate cut-offs, there are grinding cut-off supports (similar to electric drill stands) that turn the portable grinder into a stationary machine.
6. The angle grinder is particularly useful for removing rusty nuts that are difficult to remove with the key. Again, it is necessary to immobilize the workpiece.
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- Aluminum, copper, lead, tin, zinc, alloys
- Iron, cast iron, steel and tinplate: use them well
- Metal cutting and grinding
- Clamping the metal
- How to cut metal with a torch by oxycutting
- DIY videos
- Use an angle grinder
This may interest you