Mosquitoes are attracted by odors, especially those that the human body releases, consisting of a chemical mixture of heat, moisture, CO2.
The mosquito trap principle is based on the reproduction of the smell of human skin thanks to fermenting yeast that will release carbon dioxide and attract pests.
By its shape, the trap reminds one for flies or wasps. Only the content changes.
To note: This type of trap is not suitable for tiger mosquitoes. To fight effectively against this growing insect in France, consult our page: "Protect yourself against tiger mosquitoes and eliminate them".
- 1 plastic bottle
- Lukewarm water
- 50 g of brown sugar
- 1 g baker's yeast
- Black paper
Stages of realization of the mosquito trap
- Cut the bottle plastic at the top third level.
- In the lower part, pour warm water first (about 200 ml), then the brown sugar (preferably) Mix until the sugar melts and let cool.
- Add yeast baker (preferable to baking powder). Do not mix! The yeast must remain on the surface of the water.
- In order to better hide the trap and because tiger mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors, think about surround the device with a black paper, fixed with tape.
- Arrange this trap both inside and out.
- The completely redo every 15 days approximately to ensure its effectiveness.
Trick: to prevent the rain from drowning the trap and making it ineffective, think of hanging a small lid over the opening, without closing it.