The Content Of The Article:

When working, the risk of injury or damage to property is real. Before they happen, it's better to check that you are well insured!

Make sure to tinker

One and the same contract can not cover all the risks inherent to the DIY practice.
For the damage that you - or the people living permanently at your home - could cause to others (house or apartment, friend visiting your site...), the liability of your home insurance liability insurance must play.
It is still necessary to check the clauses of the contract to avoid having a bad surprise. For damages that you or your loved ones may suffer, you must take out an individual accident or the accident accident guarantee.

Damage to others

A simple carelessness or negligence can cause injury to a person and thus incur your liability.
The victim is then entitled to ask you for compensation. You can, for example, be held responsible for cracks that appear in the apartment next to the DIY work that you have done.
To obtain compensation, your neighbor will have to prove that the cracks are indeed related to your work. You are also liable for damage caused by objects and property that belong to you, that you borrow or rent.
If a friend visiting you is injured or stomping on the scaffolding that you rented, he may demand compensation for his injury without any fault on your part.
Mostly underwritten at the same time as the multi-risk home, liability insurance covers you: it intervenes to compensate the victim for you.
On the other hand, it only covers the damage you cause to people outside the contract. In the event of a gross error, such as taking down a load-bearing wall without precaution, the warranty will not be used to compensate for damage to your own home.

Damage to yourself

If, as a result of a wrong maneuver, you drop a mass on the tiles and damage the floor, your insurer will not cover the cost of repairs. Similarly, if you tinker your glasses or those of a family member, you will have to pay for their replacement yourself.
In fact, the civil liability cover covers the damages caused by the person who takes out the contract, as well as all the people who live permanently at his home (but not those who are talking to each other or to themselves).
If you hurt yourself or a family member, you may have different types of insurance. The costs of care are partially covered by the Social Security (regardless of the origin of the injury) with a possible complement of your mutual.
During DIY work with a friend, he may hurt himself, you may hurt him, or he may cause harm to others. If your civil liability guarantee includes a special clause called "volunteer help", all such damages will, in principle, be compensated by your insurer. Your friend will have the quality of insured for the damages caused to the others, and the status of third party to the contract for those of which he would be victim.
Check this with your insurer and ask for a warranty extension to your policy if the "volunteer help" clause is not included.

Repair the damage and their consequences

To improve this protection, it is possible to subscribe to "a guarantee of accidents of life" (GAV) or an "individual accident". Both cover three types of risks: permanent disability (payment of capital), temporary incapacity for work (compensation for loss of professional income) and death (payment of capital).
This situation must have originated in an accident of privacy related to the practice of a hobby or a sport. The DIY accident is covered. If the individual accident insurance covers the bodily harm itself, the GAV provides for the repair of the suffering endured, the aesthetic damage of the injured person and, in case of death, the compensation for the economic and moral damage suffered by the spouse and the victims. children.

Work insurance: check points

  • The liability cover of your multi-occupant homeowner does not cover the damage caused by a "motorized land vehicle" such as a self-propelled lawn mower. Depending on its power, the damage caused by using it may not be covered.
  • Damage incurred while handling rented equipment is not always covered by insurance contracts. Do not hesitate to ask your insurer and consult the website of the French Federation of Insurance Companies.

In case of calamity

  • Do not compensate the victim yourself but make a declaration within five days with your insurer, by registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt.
  • In your mail, do not indicate your share of responsibility, but describe as precisely as possible the facts.

Video Instruction: D.I.Y. Kangaroo Courts 13 - Subrogation