- Practical advice
- Lubricate moving parts
- The drain
- Loosen the drain plug
- Let the oil drain
- Empty the tray
- Remove lid and filter cartridge
- Mount the cartridge
- Clean the strainer
- Pour a synthetic oil
- Check the oil level
The emptying of a motorcycle is required periodically. This is the simplest of all maintenance operations, which can be done by a novice in the field, and this with reduced tools.
● If many older motorcycles are satisfied with a mineral oil recommended by the manufacturer, it is better to use a synthetic oil or, if necessary, semi-synthetic.
● Since the housing is made of aluminum alloy, do not overtighten the drain plug, otherwise the thread may be damaged. The manufacturer, for our model, indicates a tightening torque of 4.3 kg / m.
Lubricate moving parts
The oil is used to lubricate the moving parts of the engine. Contained in the lower part of the housing, it follows a closed circuit. Sucked by a pump, purified by a filter, it greases the parts then returns to the housing, and so on. Subjected to high temperatures, it oxidizes, darkens and its lubricity decreases. Its replacement is required every 3,000 to 5,000 km depending on the model of motorcycle. And both oil changes, it is necessary to replace the oil filter.
Practiced here on a 125 cm3 of current model (YAMAHA SR), the emptying is carried out substantially in the same way on the other two-wheeled 4-stroke engine. It is carried out hot so that the oil is fluidized and flows properly. Mount the bike on the center stand, and make sure it is stable. Prepare a container that is flat enough to slip under the engine: an old bowl or a 10-liter plastic can, cut in half in the direction of the thickness, for example. Unscrew the drain plug at the bottom of the housing using a suitable wrench (pipe or Allen). The used oil then flows. On this motorcycle, behind the O-ring plug is a spring and a strainer designed to retain large impurities. These three pieces go back simply after being cleaned with gasoline and brush.
● The oil filter, a small cylinder whose ends have Neoprene seals, is accessible through a cover located here, on the right, in the upper part of the crankcase. An Allen screw is provided to empty the oil from this compartment. This done, just remove the other two screws to release the lid. The filter cartridge comes out easily without tools. It is changed during a drain, then cleaned with gasoline to the next. To put it back in place, it is essential to orient the side marked "outside" towards the outside, before reassembling the cover, checking the condition of its seal.
● The filling is done by the plug located on the right side, at the top of the crankcase. Equipped with two ears, he maneuvered by hand. A funnel is necessary to pour in the crankcase 1 to 3 liters of 4-stroke oil, viscosity 10 to 20 W 40. If you buy your oil in 5-liter cans, it is better to pre-dose the amount recommended by the manufacturer using of a plastic bottle.
● After the required amount has been poured into the tank, idle the engine for two minutes to establish the oil pressure. Then check the level through the transparent window or by means of the gauge associated with the plug. It must fit between the minimum and maximum marks. The used oil must be handed over to a recycling center for recycling: garbage dump, car centers, garage...
Loosen the drain plug
The drain plug is located at the bottom of the crankcase. Run the engine so the oil is hot. Then loosen the cap with a suitable wrench.
Let the oil drain
Place a tray under the machine and continue unscrewing by hand, gently, until you release the cap. The used oil escapes. Remove the spring and the strainer from their housing.
Empty the tray
Without removing the tray, unscrew and remove the Allen screw located at the bottom of the oil filter cover, to empty the housing of its contents.
Remove lid and filter cartridge
Unlock and remove the other two screws (here cruciform) that hold the cover. Drop it and the filter cartridge just behind.
Mount the cartridge
The cartridge is mounted in a precise direction. Place the face marked "outside" in the lid provided with its seal and insert the assembly into the housing.
Clean the strainer
Before replacing the drain plug, clean the strainer with gasoline and dry it. Replace it in the right direction at the bottom of the housing, then the spring and the plug tight to the desired torque.
Pour a synthetic oil
Open the filler cap, then pour a 10W40 synthetic or semi-synthetic oil with a funnel. The index 10, fluid, is ideal for cold starts.
Check the oil level
A window, small window provided at the bottom of the housing allows to visualize at any time the oil level which must be located between the maximum and minimum marks. The control is motorcycle well vertical.