- Mineral fertilizers: NPK fertilizer
- Organic fertilizers
- Fertilizer or Whiplash Fertilizer
- Special cases of manure, compost and compost
Just as you drink and eat, your living lawn also needs to drink and eat regularly. And just like you, its requirements are specific. And his food is called lawn fertilizer. You will find different types of lawn fertilizer on the market. Choosing the right fertilizer to spread it at the right time is the guarantee of well-fed grass that is very thick and green.
Mineral fertilizers: NPK fertilizer
It consists of the 3 basic chemical elements that a plant needs:
- Nitrogen (chemical symbol N)
- Phosphorus (chemical symbol P)
- Potassium (chemical symbol K)
According to the formula, fertilizer integrates these elements in variable proportions. International coding allows you to choose the right dosage. The NPK initials are always followed by 3 digits indicating the exact composition. For example NKP 16-5-5 indicates a fertilizer containing 16% nitrogen (N), 5% phosphorus (P) and 5% potassium (K).
To these basic components, it is often other nutrients such as calcium (C), magnesium (M), sulfur (S) or other trace elements. For a complete action, you can also find it associated with a lawn weed killer or an anti foam.
These are fertilizers of animal or vegetable origin:
- Animal origins: Powder of bone or fish bones, dried blood, crushed horn, guano.
- Plant origin: Algae, nettle or comfrey manure, ashes, sugar beet vinasse residue, etc.
These fertilizers are not directly assimilable by plants. It is the bacteria present in the soil that transform them into assimilable mineral ions. They are therefore slow-acting bottom fertilizers.
Fertilizer or Whiplash Fertilizer
Depending on the formulation or composition of the mineral or organic fertilizer, the action will be different. We distinguish the fertilizer from the bottom of the fertilizer whip.
- The fertilizer background: It is used before the planting of the lawn and in the fall. It nourishes the grass in depth by ensuring the good development of the roots. It is he who gives vigor to turf to resist diseases or pests. It must be a balanced fertilizer of the NPK 10-10-10 type, ground horn, guano.
- The whiplash fertilizer: It is used in the spring (one or two spreading according to the state of your lawn). After the winter, it will wake the grass, stimulate the growth and intensify its color. For this it must be rich in nitrogen (NPK 17-6-5 or NPK 16-5-5 - dried blood, guano)
Spread the fertilizer preferably when the soil is wet, it will absorb the fertilizer more easily.
Special cases of manure, compost and compost
These are both amendments and fertilizers. An amendment is a product mixed on the ground to improve it.
- Manure: As a fertilizer, it should never be used fresh. In addition, the manure of mammals is not very balanced. It is best to compost it before using it. As an amendment, it brings a lot of humus and improves soil life.
- Compost: It comes from the transformation of green waste from the garden or house by micro-organisms or earthworms. In addition to its eco responsible, it is an excellent balanced fertilizer and it lightenes the earth.
- The potting soil: It is composed of topsoil enriched with decomposition materials such as manure or plant debris. There are different soil qualities depending on pH, organic matter content and nitrogen.
The action of spreading compost or compost on your lawn is called the topdressing. Spread in thin layer, they will bring all the organic matter necessary for the vitality of your lawn. Remember that a well-fed turf is much better at defending against diseases, pests or climatic stresses.