Flat or needled carpets, although not as well known as carpets, have a number of advantages: they are very resistant to light and aging, they are very easy to maintain and they are not sensitive to water. in case of floods or water damage. Its comfort, if it remains less than that of the carpet, is quite acceptable and, compared to the price, can offer an alternative to it, especially for places with heavy traffic or children's rooms for example. It must be agreed, however, that this material has a much smaller choice of colors and that its thermal and acoustic performance are less than those of the carpet.
- Curved ruler
- Hammering hammer
- Double-sided adhesive
- Pose of the neediness
- Cutouts and finishes of the pose
Pose of the neediness
1. The essential condition for a good result is to put the needled on a support flat and in perfect condition. If the surface to be upholstered (parquet for example) is too damaged, it is recommended to completely cover it with particle board. Even in this case, carefully dust off the floor before laying the floor. If it is a tile, degrease it with a special product, such as trichlorethylene, so as not to hinder the adhesion of the coating.
2. To install your needled, preferably choose free standing, or "glued on the periphery". This is the most accessible method. Between the floor and the felt mat, and around the entire perimeter of the room to be upholstered, apply double-sided tape. To cut it, use the universal knife with a straight blade. Glue the first side of the tape to the floor that is not covered with a paper backing.
3. After placing the adhesive tape around the entire area to be lined, unroll the needlepunch completely. The felt mat requires the following precaution: take care to stretch it as far as possible, before gluing it permanently, so that the coating is not likely to move or wrinkle.
4. The needle-punched rug is completely unrolled, place it along one side of the piece, making it extend about ten centimeters on the plinth. Using the 26 cm scissors, mark sharply, along the wall, the angle defining the part of the covering that you will need to remove.
5. To remove excess carpet protruding from the plinth, use a carpet trimmer. This tool is equipped with a knob that adjusts the blade according to the thickness of the coating. This prevents, even for very thick carpets, from passing the blade several times in the same place. It has a support serving as cutting guide, also adjustable, thanks to which you will make straight cuts.
Cutouts and finishes of the pose
1. By removing excess felt mats from baseboards, never cut to the end of an angle. Stop at about 10 cm from it. Then cut into a triangle, using the scissors. This will avoid any unpleasant surprises, and the coating will fit in every corner of the room.
2. To fit two felt carpet strips, proceed as for perimeter installation: use double-sided tape. Glue the face of the unprotected tape to the floor. Press firmly on the protective paper on the other side to properly secure the tape. Cut the ribbon to the correct length, using the cutter.
3. For a perfect fit, lay the two felt carpet pieces overlapping by a few inches. Then, using the cutter, using the curved ruler (60 cm or 2.10 m depending on the width of the carpet) as a cutting guide, cut out the middle of the two parts of coating. Remove the strips of carpet thus cut.
4. After cutting and removing the carpet strips, carefully peel off the protective paper from the top of the tape. Use a block of wood to adhere the carpet to the ribbon. This principle of superposition of the two strips ensures an impeccable fit.
5. After joining the two strips together, use a sledge hammer to complete the adhesion of the felt mat to the second tacky side of the adhesive tape. This hammer, strongly pressed along the entire length of the tape, will expel air bubbles that could slip between the coating and the tape. The hammer is the only tool that, thanks to its shape, can perform the same operation along and under the skirting boards.
6. In a room that is to be covered with felt carpet (or carpet), the radiator feet require a special cut, a little delicate. Using the cutter, completely cut the felt mat from the plinth to where the foot of the most advanced radiator in the room will fit.
7. Thanks to this cut, which you will make on each side, you can place your coating under the radiator. Always using the universal knife, then proceed with the shaving, that is to say, the cutting of the felt carpet around the feet of the radiator. These must fit perfectly in the felt mat so that it does not wrinkle.
(photos / visuals: © DIY-Prod, except special mention)
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- All about carpet and its laying techniques
- Free laying of carpet
- Carpet tiles
- Cork slabs
- Vinyl flooring (PVC) in strips
- Glued carpeting in a staircase
- Glued carpeting
This may interest you