- Necessary material
- Tablet or soliflore
- Easily remove imperfections
- Preparation of the drum
- Realization of accessories
- Installing accessories
- Tip for DIYers
Easy to convert, the drum is a must in the recovery. By adding four wheels and three removable shelves, it becomes a custom coffee table that will easily find its place in the garden.
- screwdriver drill with wood bits Ø 2,5 and 3 mm
- strawberry 45°
- circular saw
- Plywood falls (8 mm thick)
- countersunk head screw Ø 3.5 x 30 mm
- wood pulp
- adhesive edge
- 4 swivel castors
- round head bolt Ø 4 x 16 mm
- round wooden stick Ø 14 mm,
Cost: 50 €
Time: 1 weekend
Raw for an industrial or colorful deco to bring a warm touch, the drum is an object easy to divert.
Sometimes recorded, it is near factories or construction sites.
There are three types: plywood, softwood and plastic.
Tablet or soliflore
This is a plywood drum, ideal for the garden provided it receives adequate protection.
Chiner an authentic wooden model involves dismantling all of its slats, sanding and varnishing, before reassembling them. In this case, it lends itself more to interior decoration.
In order to bring originality to this piece of furniture, tablets have been imagined, provided with legs with varying heights and different shapes.
Economical, they are made from a drop plywood (a few euros in DIY store). The feet of the shelves are simple wooden sticks that fit into the holes of the tray (actually the metal parts of the drum).
It is possible to provide other types of development, as here soliflores. A cork slipped into one of the steel orifices decreases its depth. It blocks a test tube or a vanilla tube that, slipped into the cavity, will form a vase.
Easily remove imperfections
The rust, located inside the tubes of the coil, is removed with a rolled fine sandpaper (200).
Surface imperfections can be erased by applying wood pulp.
After drying (usually 12 to 24 hours), the resumption is sanded with a fine sandpaper.
For a neat rendering and outdoor use, it is recommended to apply two passes of underlay, then two to three layers of paint.
The installation of an adhesive edge on the periphery of the tray allows a neat finish to the set.
The final step is to apply a clear protective coat and wait for complete drying to secure the casters (pivoting platinum models).
Preparation of the drum
- Coat the reel assembly with coarse sandpaper (120).
- Remove defects by applying wood paste with a spatula.
- Sand lightly with sandpaper (200).
- Place the bottom edge of the adhesive edge on the edge of the tray.
- Be sure to keep the edge parallel to the board while pulling the band.
- Slice the upper excess of the band by placing the blade of a cutter against the board.
- Progress slowly.
- Pass two undercoats of universal paint.
Realization of accessories
- Draw and cut patterns of accessories such as removable shelves.
- Postpone them on the plywood (8 mm thick).
- Indicate the location of the feet of the shelves.
- Cut the tablets with a jigsaw.
- At the location of the chopsticks, drill the plywood with a drill bit (Ø 3 mm) and mill at 45°.
- Sand the surfaces.
- Prepare six round rods to the desired length (Ø 14 mm) and pre-drill one end (Ø 3 mm).
- Cut six stops (30 mm) into a skewer.
- Drill the chopsticks perpendicularly (Ø 3 mm) at the chosen height, insert the glued abutments.
- Insert countersunk screws (Ø 3.5 x 30 mm) into the holes of the shelves, glue and screw the chopsticks.
- Mark the position of the plates of the four wheels 10 cm from the edge.
- Pre-drill (Ø 2.5 mm), screw the rollers (Ø 4 x 16 mm).
- Paint and varnish reel and shelves.
Tip for DIYers
In order to quickly paint the drum, four screws are temporarily fixed on the first painted plate. The table can then be returned to these ephemeral feet without touching the ground, which allows the immediate painting of the underside of the furniture.