- Divide the bulbs
- Size of evergreen shrubs
- Shelter the hunt
- Enrich the land of ornamental shrubs
- Clean your tools
- Cut the succulents
- Praline shrubs with bare roots
January is a hinge month in the garden. Although very timidly, the nature reboots, in spite of sometimes cold snaps. Face it, and take advantage of the slightest year to prepare the year.
Yes activities are not lacking under shelterwhen the garden is covered by ice or covered with snow, you still have plenty to do outside: the ornamental garden, the vegetable garden or the orchard.
The complete rest of the fruit treeseven the earliest, is the ideal time to apply them seasonal treatments which are necessary. Under the generic title of "winter treatments", you will find different specialties to spray, mainly insecticides. They make it possible to destroy the overwintering forms of various parasites. First make a good scratch brush to remove moss and shreds of bark, which are all refuges for these unwanted.
In the vegetable garden, the essential thing is in the plowing. Never return a frozen earth, but do it with a rough plowing: the cold and the rain will refine the work better than you could do it. Do not forget to mulch winter vegetables, such as leeks, in order to extract them in any weather.
Think of plants that are kind enough to color this season ungrateful. In the first rank are camellias, at least in regions with not too severe winters. Avoid the hard knocks by giving them a mobile shelter against cold winds and covering them at night with a forcing sail.
For the indoor plants, the main enemies are the lack of light and atmospheric dryness. Group them near the light sources and make sure to add an evaporator or place them on wet gravel.
This is also a good time to dive into the big books, too heavy and too fragile to be taken to the garden in high season. The best is to prepare notes sticky, to classify in the gardening workshop, with the schedule of sowing for example. You will find them at the right time to consult them, even with earthy hands, without ulterior motives.
Divide the bulbs
1. At the end of the month, it is not unusual for snowdrops to appear. Unlike many bulbs, you have better to divide and replant them in full vegetation: their recovery will be only better.
Size of evergreen shrubs
2. Cherry laurel size can start at the end of the month and continue until March. Slow to replenish, these persistent shrubs will have reformed for sure their wood in the season.
Shelter the hunt
3. Coriaceous, the chervil accepts light jellies. To have until spring, it is prudent to shelter a row under tunnel. In case of disaster, remember that it sprouts quickly.
Enrich the land of ornamental shrubs
4. Indulge your ornamental trees and shrubs! Remove their base from dead leaves and weeds, which you will replace with a thick layer of advanced, protective and enriching compost.
Clean your tools
5. Continue to overhaul the hand tools, which are often overlooked: sand the handles, secure the loose knives, scrape and grease the blades of the sharp tools, including tines and spades.
Cut the succulents
6. Many succulents, such as scheverias, sedums or kalanchoes, are suitable for cutting their leaves. Just place these on a sandy bed kept fresh, and wait!
Praline shrubs with bare roots
The bare-rooted shrubs, including the rosebushes, are worthy of being "praline". The operation consists in coating their roots with a gangue of mixed mud and cow manure. If you do not have these ingredients, you will find them in gardening in powder form. Thus coated before planting, the roots emit many vigorous radicels, and easily conquer their new environment.