The laying of carpet on a staircase is a meticulous operation that requires a lot of precision but in fact presents few difficulties. The gluing of the nosings must be done on a healthy support, perfectly dusted, flat and dry. Beware of glue stains, where a good dosage in spreading with a suitable notched trowel. Cut carpet and stair nosing only for the one where you work, some old stairs are not always regular measures or observing as here, progressive curves.
- Tape measure with reported reading
- Carpet glue
- Neoprene adhesive
- Notched spatulas
- Prepare the support
- Placing the piece of carpet
Prepare the support
1. The laying of carpet in a staircase does not involve any specific difficulty. However, the cutting of the carpet should be done with particular care, especially if the staircase is curved, to adapt perfectly to the nose-of-march. Start indifferently from the top or bottom of the stairs (here the installation is from the bottom, the first riser is already covered). First cut a piece of carpet covering the step (horizontal part) and the riser (vertical part). Allow space for the nosing and a few extra centimeters for the side edges.
2. For the installation of the nose-step, it is necessary beforehand to have cut a length of plastic profile corresponded to the width of the step (in the old stairs, do not cut in advance all the necessary lengths, you may encounter adjustment problems). Use neoprene contact adhesive (double-sizing). Only the upper lip of the nosing is glued. When the two layers of glue no longer adhere to the finger (about fifteen minutes), place the nose-bridge and put in contact. Be careful, neoprene glue does not correct the position.
3. Then glue the step (step and riser) with a straight or notched trowel with the glue suitable for the chosen carpet. Be sure to glue sufficiently and in all parts, especially near the nosing, as it would be dangerous that the adhesion is not perfect.
Placing the piece of carpet
1. Put in place the pre-cut piece of carpet. It must fit perfectly on the thin part of the upper lip of the nosing. Carefully apply the carpet, stretching it and rubbing it with your hand. Make sure that it adheres to the bottom of the right angle of the step.
2. The final operations consist of cutting according to the angles (with a pair of scissors).
3. Then apply the carpet along the step and the riser; then trim, after roughing the cutting line with the round end of the scissors.
On the same topic
- Questions answers
- How to remove traces of glue on stairs?
- How to cover a granite staircase?
- Problem of workmanship on a wooden staircase
- DIY tips
- All about carpet and its laying techniques
- Restore a staircase in tomettes
- Free laying of carpet
- Carpet tiles
- Carpet maintenance (repairing snags, stains and burns)
- Glued carpeting
- Free laying of needled
- How to make a tiled stair?
- DIY videos
- Restoration of a staircase in tomettes
- Bostik soft floor glues
- Exterior stairs Modulesca
This may interest you