The Content Of The Article:

The start of heating is often associated with an increase in carbon monoxide poisoning. Crabone monoxide is a real danger for the occupants of a dwelling. Why, what must be done to avoid risks or in the event of an accident?
Here is some useful information against carbon monoxide.

Heating: watch out for carbon monoxide

Heating: watch out for carbon monoxide

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and painless gas that gets into your home as a result of poor combustion of your heating equipment or hot water appliance. CO, carbon monoxide, is responsible each year for several thousand cases of poisoning, some of which can cause death.

Carbon monoxide is produced by heaters or cooking appliances, the water heaters running coal, wood, oil, oil or gas but also through the exhaust ducts. Electrical equipment does not produce CO.

Recommendations against carbon monoxide

For avoid any risk of CO poisoning, it is necessary to maintain the above devices at least once a year by a professional. The latter will measure the level of CO that must be below the legal threshold (20 PPM).
It is imperative to ventilate all the rooms at least once a day, even in cold weather for about ten minutes to renew the indoor air.
Do not block ventilation grilles of your devices and those installed in your home.

There are today carbon monoxide detectors that can be bought in all supermarkets but its use is not yet mandatory in homes unlike smoke detectors that are since March 2015. The CO detector is installed on a wall or ceiling in a room hosting the combustion apparatus or not; refer to the instructions provided for correct installation. Check during your purchase that the CO detector is CE marked and that it corresponds to EN50291.

What to do in case of CO poisoning?

CO poisoning is not obvious to diagnose but if a person has one of the following disorders while being in a room and they disappear when leaving the room, it is strongly intoxication carbon monoxide.
There are several degrees of intoxication.

  • Low poisoning: Causes nausea, headache, dizziness, or vomiting in many people in a room with a combustion device.
  • Acute poisoningThe symptoms are the same as chronic intoxication but when CO is present in large amounts in the room, a person can stop breathing without having had any symptoms before.

In both cases, call for help immediately, stating that you suspect CO poisoning and report if someone is unconscious.
Cut off the equipment immediately if this is feasible and safe for your safety, open all exterior windows and doors to ventilate the room quickly and, if possible, remove people from the area.
Rapid intervention of relief will limit the dangers of coma and death.
While waiting for help, put the person who is breathing but who is unconscious in PLS (lateral position of safety), that is to say, lying on the side with the leg of the top folded on the other to avoid that it does not chokes on vomiting.
If the person is not breathing, it is essential to perform a cardiac massage.


Video Instruction: Carbon monoxide and the gas furnace, part 1