- The essential equipment to change the lock of a door
- The steps of changing a door lock
- In case of difficulty, call a locksmith
You want to increase your security by changing the lock of your door? Discover all the steps to follow as well as the tools you need to get yourself to change the lock of your door without difficulty.
How to change the lock of a door?
The essential equipment to change the lock of a door
If you want change your lock current for a standard lock, you can fully consider starting this operation alone: it's quite easy and you should not encounter any particular problem if you follow each step correctly and you are well equipped (e). To begin, get some tools that you will need to change the lock on your door:
- A key;
- A screwdriver;
- A pencil;
- Wood pulp;
- A drill;
- A new lock.
Woodpulp, drill and pencil will not be needed if you choose a new lock whose dimensions are the same as the previous one.
The steps of changing a door lock
To change the lock of your door safely, you can follow these steps:
- Unscrew the screw of the cylinder, then those of the door handle with the screwdriver;
- Remove one by one the pin, the handle and the fasteners: the different elements must all be removed;
- You can insert the key into the lock, and turn it while pulling the cylinder towards you to remove it;
- If you have chosen a new lock that is the same size as the old one, simply screw the new lock onto the door;
- If your new lock does not have exactly the same dimensions as the old one, start by filling the holes of the fixings of the previous lock, using the wood paste;
- Using the paper pencil, mark the fastening points of the new lock and the drilling point of the cylinder;
- You will drill the holes on the marking points you have entered;
- Install the new lock and screw it.
In case of difficulty, call a locksmith
If you do not feel able to change your lock unaided or encounter difficulties, it will be wiser to hire a professional.
Note that if you want a lock that meets the security standards recognized by insurance, you will have no choice but to call a professional, because the installation of this type of lock is quite complex and that the installation by a professional will guarantee you a better protection.
Do not use a locksmith in a hurry, or you'll have to pay an expensive bill. ask for several quotes and know that it will cost you between 100 and 700 €.
To find a locksmith near you, check out our annals of locksmiths in France.