- How to keep wasps away and get rid of them
- Prevent and cure wasp stings
- The wasp and its operation
- Distinguish the wasp from the bee or Asian hornet
Each summer season brings its share of pests, such as mosquitoes, flies, but also wasps so dreaded! The latter scare humans because they attack and sting, causing injuries often very painful, sometimes even severe allergies in some people. How to get rid of these junk that can be threatening?
How to keep wasps away and get rid of them
Wasps that invite themselves without warning during summer meals on the terrace, that is particularly annoying! Especially since we do not dare to chase them, lest they attack and sting. Hell! Here are some ways to get rid of it once and for all.
The precautions to take during meals
- The wasp feeding on fruits and sugar, it is essential to be vigilant about the food left in the open during the summer season. Because these foods can make the effect of a wasp magnet if you are not careful. A few simple gestures and common sense can avoid attracting them.
- Cover "wet" foods (such as dog's mash) and do not leave them lying around.
- During a meal outside, think about covering dishes containing food and to stop bottles of wine, syrup, juice (which also avoids the unfortunate accident of swallowing a wasp by accident).
- As soon as the meal is over, throw away the garbage and leave nothing lying on the table or in the sink.
- If the compost or garbage cans are outside, think about closing them tightly.
- Finally, the wasp seeks water points to hydrate. Must therefore cover all wetlands who could surround the house.
Finding a nest of wasps and getting rid of them
When the beautiful season is coming up, it is advisable to take a tour of his garden and his house to check that a nest of wasps under construction is not there. Indeed, it is the peculiarity of this insect: it manufactures alveoli where it will deposit its larvae and feed until they become adults.
Having a nest of wasps set near its habitat is a real concern. It is best to spot it when wasps build it because it is easier to destroy. When a nest of wasps is spotted, you have to land the question of its location:
- If it is far from home or within reasonable distance: it is possible to leave it andwait for autumn (when it will be deserted by the wasps) to make it fall without danger. At a safe distance from a home, wasps will not feel threatened and will not seek to attack.
- If the nest is far away but large, it is safer to get rid of it. For that, better to call in a specialist and do not try to destroy it yourself.
- If it is very close to a house (behind a shutter, in the frame, in the mailbox...), it is also essential to get rid of it quickly.
advice: it is strongly recommended to call on a professional: either firefighters (by inquiring beforehand at his town hall), or a specialized company.
For more information, visit our dedicated page: "Pest Control Company".
Methods to eliminate wasps
There are 2 main methods to get rid of wasps and eliminate them:
- The wasp trap is a great way to lure, trap and kill wasps roaming around your home. To make one yourself, follow the step by step "Making a wasp trap or hornet".
- Theanti-wasp and hornet aerosol is another possibility to eliminate intruders, being careful not to spray on food, drinks or people to limit its toxic effect on humans.
All natural methods to fight against insects of the summer in the file: "Prevention and natural treatments against insects".
Prevent and cure wasp stings
The wasp sting can be very painful, even dangerous for the man. Protect yourself or, if the damage is done, know how to react well are essential. All the good reflexes to keep in mind!
How to avoid getting stung by a wasp
Here are 6 tips to avoid wasp stings:
- Do not do no sudden action trying to hunt a wasp as it might take that for an attack and sting.
- If it arises on a person, it must stay still and your mouth closed until she leaves again.
- Be alert when drinking a sweet drink or alcoholic outside: if the bottle remained open a few moments, a wasp was able to get engulfed and there is a risk of swallowing it.
- Avoid eating outside a very sweet food such as a fruit.
- During gardening sessions, cover hands with gloves, head with a hat and arms with a long-sleeved shirt.
- Do not wear too sweet perfume and favor light clothes.
How to relieve a sting
Faced with a sting of wasp or bee, you have to react quickly and well. Because the sting that then sinks into the flesh releases a venom that creates pain or even more serious reactions in case of allergy.
The gestures of first urgency
- Remove the stinger using a credit card that is dragged along the skin. The tweezers are not recommended as they may pierce the sting and spread the wound even more venom.
- Disinfect the wound with a sterile pad soaked in antiseptic or white vinegar. Allow to dry in the open air.
To soothe the pain
- Homeopathy with Apis mellifica 9CH granules or Apis gel.
- A compress of apple cider vinegar.
- Aloe vera gel.
To know : the bee stings with its sting and often dies after the sting because it tears the abdomen while trying to disengage itself. The wasp, meanwhile, does not die and manages to fly safely.
The venom pump (brand Aspivenin®)
It can be used for all types of insects injecting venom when biting (mosquito, wasp, bee, hornet, august...). In this case, you should carefully follow the instructions, and do not remove the stinger before drawing with the pump.
What to do if the person is allergic or if it is a child?
The "normal" reaction to a wasp sting is pain, redness and induration in the wound. But some people have an allergy to the bite of this insect, whether they already know it or not. The reactions are then amplified.
Symptoms in an allergic person are the following:
- Edema in the face (tongue, lip, throat swelling with a risk of choking).
- Difficulty breathing (with whistling) and swallowing.
- Discomfort causing a drop in blood pressure (what we call "anaphylactic shock").
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Rash all over the body.
Faced with these symptoms, you must immediately call the SAMU (15)! And if it's a child, you have to be extra careful and see a doctor quickly.
Warning! Even if the person does not have these symptoms but the sting has occurred in the face, neck or in the mouth, it is imperative to go immediately to emergencies. Ditto if the stings are multiple.
The wasp and its operation
What attracts the wasp near homes? What is its cycle and way of life? What are the risks of cohabiting with humans? Small wasp identity sheet to better know how to get rid of it.
The wasp is a flying insect with a yellow and black striped abdomen and venomous sting. The latter's role is to enable him to defend himself, defend the nest or neutralize his victim in flight when hunting. Measuring between 10 and 19 mm, it is often confused with the bee, the drone or the hornet because all these insects belong to the same suborder. Its diet is based on the consumption of fruit, sugar and insects (thanks to its mandibles) to feed the larvae it lays in the nest (alveoli).
What is the wasp for? As an insectivore, it participates in the regulation of the fauna of insects and larvae. Some types of wasps are also pollinators.
The types of wasps
Here are the main types of wasps that can be encountered:
- The solitary wasps (burrowers, masons...): they form their own isolated nests.
- The social waspsThey form colonies of several individuals that gather around a queen (fertilized female).
The most common species in France are the common wasp (Vespula vulgaris) and the German wasp (Vespula germanica).
The cycle of life
In spring, a female wasp fertilized the previous year gathers around her a colony of other individuals. The nest can accommodate the larvae, which are laid throughout the summer. At the end of the larvae, the larvae become nymphs, then adult individuals, male and female. These will in turn be fertilized for the following year. With the first cold, the entire colony disappears, with the exception of the fertilized females that will hibernate.
Where, when and why do they develop?
Social wasps, which must to form a colony, do it at every spring. This is the period when they build their nest. The colony will live well until autumn and the return of the cold season. We find wasps everywhere in France during the summer season.
What are the risks for humans?
When a man encounters a wasp, the main risk for the first is the bite. Indeed, the wasp has the instinct to defend its territory, even if it is on a property! If she feels unsafe, she will not hesitate to attack and sting. The bites can be serious, if they are multiple or if the victim is allergic to his venom.
Distinguish the wasp from the bee or Asian hornet
How to distinguish wasp from bee
- The wasp presents a thin body and little hairy, unlike the bee.
- Its color is often of a bright yellow than that of the bee, even if it depends on the species.
- The wasp can sting many times and do not lose his sting when she does, unlike the bee who, by pricking, often pulls out the abdomen and dies.
- Finally, she feeds on sugar, decaying fruit, while the bee feeds on flower nectar.
The specificities of the Asian hornet
- The Asian hornet is a type of hornet very invasivethat you have to fight at all costs because it attacks hives to devour bees and honey.
- He is a bit smaller that a wasp and darker. But it is difficult to know by keeping a good distance (which is strongly recommended for his aggressiveness!). Better to take pictures and seek advice from a specialist.
To learn more: "Asian hornets: how to get rid of it?".