- Fight moisture to preserve your health and your walls
- Why does moisture settle in the walls?
- Treat the cause of the humidity of the walls
- Anti moisture paint
Moisture makes your house unhealthy? The wallpaper is peeling? The paint swells and flakes? We must act without delay. But how to get rid of moisture on the walls and especially prevent them from coming back?
Fight moisture to preserve your health and your walls
The humidity in a home does not only pose aesthetic problems and comfort. It helps to deteriorate the materials and in the long run fragile structure of the building. It promotes the appearance of mold, saltpeter or marrow. And saltpetre and merule represent real dangers to your home.
Moisture also has harmful effects on your health. It can lead to chronic colds, lung diseases and severe allergies due to the proliferation of mites. Children, the elderly or the sick are particularly vulnerable to these dangers.
Why does moisture settle in the walls?
Causes causing the appearance of traces of moisture on the walls are of 2 orders:
- External causes: The humidity comes from the outside. A cracked wall, a roof in bad condition, capillary rise or a problem of splashing (the water falling on the ground reflects on the under-basement) bring moisture into the house.
- Internal causes: The humidity comes from the house. A leak on a pipe, water damage (overflowing a bathtub or washing machine for example), condensation create moisture that will settle on the walls.
You can only treat moisture that degrades your walls by identifying the source of the problem.
Treat the cause of the humidity of the walls
It is by treating the cause that you will get rid of moisture on your walls.
- In case of external infiltration: Check the condition of your roof, gutters, facade and under-basement, your frames. And fix what needs to be.
- In case of leaksLocate the leak and repair as soon as possible.
Ventilate the premises strongly to dry the walls. The ideal is to use an electric dehumidifier.
- In case of condensation: Air your home every day. Clean the air vents. Check the operation of the VMC. In winter do not overheat. And use a dehumidifier to clean your interior.
Anti moisture paint
For clean up your walls, you can use an anti moisture paint. But be careful, it has its limits. It is a surface treatment that will not solve the problems problems of leakage, capillary rise or cracks.
It applies as a standard paint on all types of media, curative or preventive. It may be recoverable by another paint, tile or wallpaper.
There are different formulas:
- Waterproof anti moisture paint: Its film-forming effect makes the wall impermeable. It is recommended for interior walls of cellar, basement, laundry, etc. Do not use it on an outside wall.
- Anti-humidity waterproofing paint: It waterproofs the wall but lets it breathe. This is the paint to use for the exterior walls.
- Anti condensation special moisture paint: It has a strong thermal insulating effect and limits the appearance of condensation. It is ideal for wet rooms (bathroom or kitchen).
To really treat the moisture traces on a wall, you have to determine the exact causes. Do not hesitate to ask for a moisture diagnosis from a professional or an expert.