- Calculate the necessary adhesive film footage
- Prepare the bottom before laying the tiles
- Lay the wall tile
- Practical advice
Wall tiles can be installed without glue thanks to a very powerful adhesive process based on nanotechnology. Finished the mortar, forgotten the time of drying, it is enough of two adhesive films applied one on the other and the turn is played!
The application of glue is probably the most restrictive part in the implementation of a tile. To do without this step, the product "Crystal Grip" used here is composed of three elements: two adhesive films and a laying kit.
Calculate the necessary adhesive film footage
The first adhesive film, sold in a roll of 50 x 500 cm, is printed on the support to be covered (smooth wall or old tiling). The second film, also available in roll, is available in several widths corresponding to the current dimensions of the tiles: 10, 15, 18.5, 20, 25 and 30 cm. It is applied on the back of the tile, which has only to be placed on the wall. The surface of the latter is calculated by multiplying the height of the part to be covered by its width, and then dividing by the length of the rollers. In fact, exactly the same way as for wallpaper.
Prepare the bottom before laying the tiles
The wall adhesive is very powerful, but it is better to wash old supports with soda lye (10 g / liter approximately) to promote the hanging. On the flat side, holes, cracks and slight hollows can be neglected. In contrast, reliefs greater than 1 mm must be leveled or sanded.
The the wall support pose pretty much like a pre-glued wallpaper. With the exception that it is necessary to unwind the protective film as and when the implementation. The multi-purpose level (included in the kit) is designed to attach to the end of the lé, rough side, using the paperclips (provided) to hold the film folded. The underside of each tile must also be covered by its layer of adhesive.
Lay the wall tile
The set up tiles require a small knack.
The first tile is applied, resting on the base or the level, then firmly pressed on the wall support by exerting a slight movement from left to right, as on a conventional mortar. The following tiles are applied in the same way, taking care to interpose braces as in a classic pose to maintain a constant gap between the tiles.
In case of bad positioning of an element, the trowel (included in the kit) comes to point to serve as a lever without breaking it.
Once all the tiles are laid, the seals are made using a mineral grouting mortar, to be spoiled or in a pot.
- The kit includes a multi-purpose level, three spacing braces for aligned joints, three for alternate joints, paperclips and an trowel.
- It also needs a tablecloth, a meter and a cutter.
- Unroll the wall mount.
- Cut the lé to the cutter.
- Apply the top edge to the gripping face of the level.
- Fold the protective film over 5 cm.
- Keep it with the paper clips provided.
- Present the le on the wall, aligning the level flush with the path or ceiling (here the top of the old credence).
- Press to glue the exposed adhesive, then remove the paperclips.
- Shoot the protective film with one hand, and smooth the other's flat as you unwind.
- In case of crease or big bubble, incise the cutter later.
- The wall bracket accepts large gaps, and even overlaps. This facilitates the work and saves money by avoiding buying a roll for a few centimeters.
- Cut out the pieces of adhesive film in advance or as you go.
- Flatten them behind the tiles following one edge and removing the protective film as you go.
- Apply first tile at the edge of the wall bracket, pressing and making a slight movement from left to right.
- Continue laying using the spacers adapted.
- Apply joint in all directions with the rubber trowel.
- Simultly equalize, then wait for the beginning of the grip to smooth with the sponge.
- After drawing, clean with a dry cloth.
- The grouting mortar can be replaced by a flexible putty in cartridge on low stability surfaces (hollow partitions, wood panels) due to its elasticity.
- For shower cabins or bath linings, the system offers sealing strips, to be applied in a very contiguous manner at the bottom of the walls, around faucets and other outlets.