There are many ways to save energy. For some, it is enough to change some of his daily habits for others, it involves more or less important work.
How to save energy
Change your daily life to reduce your energy consumption
Several simple everyday actions can save energy:
- Do not waste hot water
Hot water is one of the main sources of energy expenditure. It is therefore better to take showers rather than baths. Indeed, a shower consumes up to 5 times less hot water than a bath.
- Use appliances during off-peak hours
Some EDF contracts specify two time slots in each day: peak hours and off-peak hours.
Running your dishwasher or washing machine on these off-peak hours allows you to benefit from a favorable rate.
- Limit the energy consumption of the refrigerator and freezer
The fridge and freezer are big energy consumers because they operate 24/7. Try, as much as possible, not to open them too often unnecessarily or to place hot foods in them.
- Do not use sleep mode
In order to save energy, do not leave Hi-Fi devices on standby as they continue to consume electricity. Rather than unplugging devices, you can use power strips with switch that just switch off.
- Replace his bulbs
If you have not already done so, replace all of your bulbs with energy saving light bulbs that consume 75% less energy and last 5 to 10 times longer than regular light bulbs.
Carry out work: a profitable investment
Costly, but profitable in the long term, some work is the best solution to save energy.
It can be simple jobs such as installing water savers at each tap or more substantial work such as housing insulation.
Install high-performance devices:
- If your boiler is energy-consuming, replace it with a modern, more economical boiler
- Replace your open fire with a closed fireplace or wood stove, much more efficient and more environmentally friendly
- Install a timer that will increase or decrease the level of room heating depending on the time of day
Use renewable energies:
- Heat pumps allow heat recovery to heat the interior
- Photovoltaic panels capture solar energy to create electricity
- A small wind turbine can create energy, but it is a fairly expensive installation
Think about insulation:
- Insulate roofs and roofs, which can be responsible for thermal losses of up to 30%
- Insulate walls, floors and windows, resulting in significant energy savings