The planing and aligning functions are performed by the same tool holder. But planing, the piece passes under the tool shaft and in the opposite direction but always in the direction of the fibers.
- Planing Guide
- Template for planing edges
1. Moving the machine from the alignment position to the planing position must be stopped. Raise the input and output tables to the "lock" position, after disassembling the jointer guide and its column. In planing position, the piece of wood passes under the tool shaft. The height of the planing table, adjustable, allows planing parts thick from 3 to 150 mm. The machine is here in planing position, stopped, without the protection.
2. Rotate the chip shield on its axis in the locked position. Start the machine after adjusting the planing table according to the thickness of the wood to be machined; lock the adjustment handle. Engage the workpiece in the machine, taking into account the direction of the wood fibers. Do not push the coin, it advances automatically. Just support her at the entrance and pick her up at the exit. Proceed in successive passes. The maximum pass thickness is 4 mm. If the wood is too wide or too hard (or does not lend itself to planing), the machine tends to stall. In this case, remove the part and reduce the thickness of the passes by operating the table setting wheel. As soon as you reach the desired dimension, make two finishing passes.
3. To make an octagonal table leg from a cleat, use the machine in the jointer position. Adjust the 45° tilting guide with a false square. The position of the fence on the table is also adjusted by means of a manual handle. Lock the fence, thus tilted at 45°, with a wrench. Repositioning the guide at 90° requires the use of the square.
4. Work in successive passes, after drawing the octagonal shape of the foot at each end of the cleat. Press the piece of wood firmly against the side guide. Set the protection bridge as for the alignment of the edges: the base of the bridge rests on the table. To find the necessary width of the cutting part of the shaft, pull the bridge outwards and lock it in the desired position, lowering the fixing cam located above.
5. The same part (octagonal foot) can be executed by the machine in the "planing" position. A difficulty to overcome: the wedging of the cleat on one of its edges, on the planing table. You must make a wooden template with a V-shaped opening. Place the batten in the template and proceed in successive passes. Turn the cleat into the template and repeat until the piece is finished. The use of a template for this type of work is recommended for beginners.
(photos / visuals: © DIY-Prod, except special mention)
On the same topic
- DIY videos
- Renovation of a wooden plane
- Wood plasters Bostik
- DIY tips
- Planer jointer
- How does a combined machine for wood work?
- How to use a planer?
- Use a jointer to work the wood
- How to use carpenter's rasps?
- How to plan manually?
- opinions on atmospheric syphons
This may interest you