The Content Of The Article:

Long and vertical cracks are present on some walls of an apartment on the top floor of a 1965 building and put on sale. The ECD diagnosis is not yet available. Can these cracks be due to a modification of the apartment below? In case of slump of the floor, is the buyer covered? How to protect against possible problems related to these cracks?

When describing the situation, it seems important, before signing any sales agreement, to mandate a professional (architect, concrete engineer, company, etc.) able to diagnose the causes of these cracks.
Note that it is not the Energy Performance Diagnosis (EPD) that allows to be informed on this subject, but it must be presented before the signing of the compromise or the promise of sale. Moreover, if the signature takes place at a notary (which I still advocate), it will not agree to establish the act without the DPE.
Then we buy real estate "as is". Except to demonstrate that it is a hidden defect, it will be very difficult to obtain any compensation in case of subsequent disorders.

On the same topic

  • Questions answers
    • Concrete in 5 questions about the difference between a slab and a screed
    • Cracks on a load-bearing wall after work: what precautions should be taken?
    • How to define the severity of cracks?
    • How to solve cracks problems?
    • Cracks in a new house: who to contact?
  • DIY tips
    • Recognize and treat cracks in the house
    • Repairing cracks in interior walls
    • Stabilize the floors of buildings that collapse
    • Clog holes and big cracks

This may interest you

Video Instruction: Foundation Cracks and Signs of Structural Failure | Ask the Expert | Leader Basement Systems