The realization of a trellis often has two objectives in one: to dress a bare wall and to allow climbers to climb and to spread there in order to decorate this wall of a vegetative panel. Its implementation, however simple, requires a certain place. And since it is wood outside, do not neglect to protect it either by impregnating stains or by two coats of paint.
- Trellis realization
- Fixation and ornamentation
1. On a concrete floor, chalk a rectangular surface corresponding to the wall to be covered. To make the trellis, use fir slats; place them at 45° to the angle of this rectangular surface drawn on the ground. Put another series of battens on the first and nail them perpendicularly. In order to maintain a constant gap between the slats, use a template: a square of wood 10 cm wide, thick enough to allow the installation of the slats.
2. The fastening of the slats on each other is ensured by a single point in the center of each intersection. Use spikes a little longer than the thickness of the two slats together. Depress them with a hammer; their tips turn on the concrete floor. If you are working on a different type of floor, place a metal plate under the battens at each nailing. The entire surface drawn on the ground must be covered by the braces.
3. On the laths, at the periphery, mark the tracing established on the ground to determine the sawing lines. Place the trellis on trestles or on a table large enough to receive it saw the end of the slats, using a fine-toothed handsaw or a saw to back.
Fixation and ornamentation
4. The trellis is finished. The adopted fixation allows to fold it to form lozenges more or less closed. The trellis is thus more manageable and offers the possibility to adapt to different heights of wall. The wall fixing is ensured simply by solid stainless or plasticized studs. Place the trellis against the wall, and locate the location of the holes to be drilled. Use an electric drill, and peg the holes. Screw the pitons and hang the trellis.
5. Place one or more planters at the base of the trellis to put climbing plants, adapted to the climate of your area. Take into account when choosing the plants for the exposure of the wall and sunshine. Climbing hydrangeas and honeysuckle grow well in a shady place. Jasmine is suitable for a fairly sunny wall. Bougainvillea are popular in the Mediterranean region. When repotting the plant, take care not to damage the roots.
6. Climbing plants, like this ivy, are provided with crampons, tendrils, or aerial roots. The voluble plants curl on the support. But we must guide their development by fixing them to the trellis with the help of necklaces. Do not overtighten them so that the sap can circulate.
On the same topic
- DIY tips
- Aluminum balustrade
- How to make a wooden balustrade?
- Floor paint and synthetic turf
- Acrylic glass railing protection
This may interest you