In a permanent concern of economy but also to limit the waste and preserve our environment, the question of the water is paramount. Reducing water consumption is possible thanks to a few simple actions and small accessible equipment. Overview.
Reducing water consumption: a citizen act
We consume an average of 100 to 150 L of water a day. This figure has been multiplied by 3 in 30 years. As an example, the consumption in liters observed for the following uses:
|Bath||150 to 200 L|
|Shower||20 to 80 L|
|Washing machine||50 to 125 L|
|Dishwasher||10 to 20 L|
While it is true that drinking water is easy to access and the devices using it, more and more numerous, the treatment of water is expensive and this resource is unfortunately not inexhaustible. For these reasons, but also for a matter of common sense, we must preserve it through small equipment but also by changing our bad habits.
In addition, INSEE announced in 2002 that the average price of a liter of tap water was about 0.34 euro cents. Given our consumption habits, the annual bill for a household of 4 people is close to 500 euros. When we know that it has been shown that we can reduce this score by almost 50%, it is useful to act.
Equip yourself at a lower cost to reduce water consumption
There are many tips that can reduce water consumption at home or in apartment, and outdoors. These solutions are often inexpensive and have little impact on our daily lives:
- Water the garden preferably early in the morning or late at night
- Invest in domestic equipment such as the water flow reducer or the foam nozzle, the economical shower head, the thermostatic valve, the shower stop, the two-speed flush
- Wash your car in a car wash or sponge
- Do not run water unnecessarily during dishwashing, brushing hands or teeth
- Take showers rather than baths
- Give priority to class A household appliances (low consumption)
- Recycle water and use rainwater
- Replace the water jet with the watering can
- Fill the washing machine and dishwasher completely and use the "eco" functions where possible or the "half load" function if needed
- Check or have the pipes checked regularly to avoid leaks.