The entrance door contributes to both the security of the house and its aesthetics. It is indeed the first element of the house that one perceives when one comes to your home. A door in poor condition or simply outdated is the worst effect. In addition, if it is old, it does not guarantee you enough security against burglaries. Given the weight almost always higher than that of your original door, it is almost always necessary to remove the frame (or sleeping), operation to be done with the greatest care.
- Bubble level
- Wood chisel
- Hammer drill
- Screwdriver drill
- Putty gun
- Impregnated foam seal
- Joint bottom
- Silicone "special outdoor"
- Mastic adhesive
- Customized entrance door and accessories
- Finishing profiles
- Deposit the old building
- Prepare the new door
- Install the rack
- Realize interior finishes
Deposit the old building
1. Start by clearing the old door. Help yourself with a wooden wedge and a crowbar to pry up.
2. To avoid damaging the finish of the wall, turn off the frame with the cutter. Remove finishing trim with wood chisel and mallet.
3. To release the old frame from your door, cut the anchors off the grinder. Do not forget to bring protective equipment.
4. Remove the frame with the chisel and the hammer.
5. Remove the old cement seal and anything that might interfere with the installation of the new door.
6. To ensure a good support for the new door frame, we will grind the masonry with cement.
Prepare the new door
1. Temporarily insert the barrel with its key and operate the handle to release the frame of the door.
2. Dodge it.
3. Then remove the handle and its barrel to be able to handle the door.
Install the rack
1. For ground level waterproofing, position the rack in its future location and make markings.
2. Place the frame on two 5 mm thick shims and check the level of the bottom rail. Add a hold if necessary. Locate the mounting holes at the scribe and remove the frame.
3. Drill with a suitable drill bit and peg.
4. Install the gasket on the floor and reassemble it about 10 cm.
5. Finally, place the frame on the wedges and screw it down.
6. Check the level of the studs. He must be perfect. If necessary, unscrew the frame and wedge it. If necessary, start again until you fix it permanently.
7. Check the squareness of the frame. Make sure the lengths of the two diagonals are the same.
8. Reposition your door and handle and test for proper operation.
1. Start from the outside. Insert the bottom of the joint between the masonry and the new frame. Help yourself with a spatula.
2. Then place the special silicone on the bottom of the joint and smooth it with your finger.
3. Finish from the inside by inserting insulation between the frame and the masonry.
Realize interior finishes
1. You can now install the finishing profiles all around the door.
2. Adjust and paste the profile up. Repeat for the side finish profiles.
3. Install the hinge caps.
4. Assemble the handle and attach it to the door.
5. Insert the key into the barrel and turn it to insert it. You can then screw it.
(photos / visuals: © Castorama, except special mention)
On the same topic
- Questions answers
- What to do when a metal entrance door expands in the sun?
This may interest you