The digital peephole is the modern version of the classic optical peephole, a simple eyecup to see who comes to the door. It has the advantage of a clearer view of the people behind the door. Some models also include a doorbell, or even the possibility of viewing visitors remotely on smartphone.
- Mesureing tape
- Adapted drill
- Rat-tail grater
- Adjustable wrench
- Tracing and drilling the door
- Installation of the optical peephole
Tracing and drilling the door
1. Determine the center of the door in the width direction. Draw a marker in pencil.
2. Determine the installation height according to the size of the people who can use the device. This mark is usually plotted at approximately 1.50 m from the ground.
3. Drill the door with a drill bit sized to fit the diameter of the peephole. Be careful not to open too hard on the other side of the door, so as not to burst the veneer!
Installation of the optical peephole
4. If necessary, adjust the drilling diameter with a rat tail grater. Be careful, again, not to burst the veneer on the other side of the door!
5. After drilling the door, position the plate on the hole. Engage the eyecup on the inside.
6. Engage the optical part and its cable from the outside. The eyecup must enter the hole without forcing.
7. Screw the eyecup from the inside. Tighten it moderately with the adjustable wrench (be careful not to burst the platinum plastic by squeezing too hard!).
8. The eyecup incorporates a miniature video camera. Here you have to connect the flexible cable to the connector.
9. Clip the screen part on the board, after installing the battery (alkaline battery, or even lithium, never saline).
10. Press the video button to see the visitor on the screen. It is also possible to interact with him. The device also includes a bell.
(photos / visuals: © DIY-Prod, except special mention)
On the same topic
- Protect your home from burglaries
- DIY tips
- Rigid door lock
- How to install a door peephole?
This may interest you