- Necessary material
- Expect always bigger
- A wide choice of decorations
- Very neat finishes
- Preparation of the elements of the dressing room
- Useful information
- Setting up the amounts
- Laying pedestals and drawers in the dressing room
- 4. Fixing the rods
- Handyman's tip
- Realization of the dressing room frames
- Fixing the hinges of the dressing room
- DIY Tip
- Assembly of the doors of the dressing room
- Settings and finishes for dressing room in the attic
This dressing converted into a loft occupies the entire wall, floor to ceiling. Its nine hinged doors conceal a complete plan of shallow storage to occupy space optimally.
- Uprights and shelves (white melamine)
- Door and drawer panels (melamine white and cherry)
- Chopsticks (cherry melamine)
- Full opening slides
- Cleats to screw
- Invisible hinges
- Fitting fittings
- Anchors and wall anchor screw
- Heat-resistant edgings (white and cherry tone)
- Rods and supports
- Bronze mirror
Cost: approximately € 4,000 (for 5.35 m wide and 2.50 m high)
Time: 1 weekend
Equipment: trestle, meter, pencil, bent square, carpenter's corner, spirit level, drill-driver, wood drill bit, milling cutter, built-in milling cutter, circular saw and guide rail, pipe cutter, screwdriver, iron, shearing knife, clamps, cartridge gun, microfiber or lint-free cloth...
Find the plan of this realization on the shop of System D
In these converted attics, the owners opted for a linear composition in the bottom of the room. Leaned against the gable wall, the dressing measures 55 cm deep useful and consists of nine columns 56.7 cm wide. Its trapezoidal lines follow the crawling slope and the ceiling on the entire wall, 5.35 m wide. The largest sizes are 2.50 m high and the lowest 95 cm.
Expect always bigger
Precise measurements preceded the completion of the development plans. The distribution of shelves, wardrobes and drawers was calculated according to the wardrobe: short or long clothes, folded linen, luggage, shoes, bedding, etc. The whole is thought to stay accessible to storage, keeping a good quarter of empty space.
A wide choice of decorations
The 100% French manufacturing (AGEM) set is made of melamine 19 mm thick (680 kg / m3 density). Its class of use E1 corresponds to a low release of formaldehyde (ie emissions lower than or equal to 0.124 mg / m3).
Among the sixties available in melamine, three were chosen: "White Pearl" for the interior elements, "White Wave" and "Merisier Romana" for doors and drawers. Left visible, these are arranged on either side of the central door, coated in turn with a bronze mirror 4 mm thick.
Other materials are also used: blockboard, medium, honeycomb panel... With, depending on the case, a finish of your choice: veneered, laminated or stained varnished.
Very neat finishes
Mounted on invisible hingesthe doors are adorned with matt nickel-plated aluminum handles, whose offset positions reflect the general lines of the dressing room. Equipped with the same handles, the drawers slide on slides allowing a total exit. They are equipped, like the doors, with dampers which ensure soft and silent closures. Shelves simply rest on metal cleats. Although invisible when the furniture is closed, these supports also have a nickel-plated finish. From a practical point of view, they offer a large support surface and, thanks to their screwed fastening, a perfect stability of the shelves.
Preparation of the elements of the dressing room
- The jambs of the dressing are delivered pre-drilled.
- The plan provided by the manufacturer indicates the dimensions and locations of the various components, including hardware.
Manufacturers and retailers commonly offer the services of an online configurator that allows you to design and budget your project by multiplying the possibilities of development. In the case of a made-to-measure on-site visit is carried out free of charge to finalize the project. Everyone has the freedom to choose a formula "ready to assemble "or have the landscaping choose.
- The drawer slides are laid first.
- One of the central amounts being shorter than the others, care must be taken to put them on the right side and in the right direction.
- The support cleats are fixed according to the spacings provided for the shelves.
- The fixed parts of the hinges are screwed to the places indicated on the diagram.
Setting up the amounts
- Draw a vertical axis on the wall at the location of the first amount.
- Place shelves on the floor on each side to keep it in position.
- Control the horizontality and the plumb.
- Present the shortest amount and connect it to the first one by placing the shelves on their cleats.
- Install the next amount, taking care not to shake anything.
- The amount is cut with a guided circular saw.
- If the floor is not perfectly level, refer the raised angle to the false square at the base of the panel.
- Check the level and plumb of the central columns, before mounting the following.
- The precision of the alignments determines the visual quality of the whole.
- The upper edge of the other uprights is beveled on the spot.
- Since the fixed parts of the hinges are already installed, care must be taken orient the bevel in the right direction.
- Beveled ends are attached to the crawling.
- Pre-drill them in two places and postpone the fixing points on the wall.
- After drilling and pegging, screw the studs.
Laying pedestals and drawers in the dressing room
- The lower shelves are enhanced by baseboards in melamine agglo.
- Before assembly, drill two through holes and mill the entries to drown the heads of the screws.
- The length of the screws is calculated as accurately as possible, in order to avoid crossing the shelves.
- But the weakness of the links does not engage the solidity of the assembly.
- Once the shelves are in place, it is the metal cleats, whose housing is pre-machined, that will support most of the load.
- Assemble and then install the drawers without the facades.
- Check their alignment and maneuver them several times to make sure they slide without rubbing.
4. Fixing the rods
- The rods are mounted on conventional eye brackets, to screw under shelf.
- Cut the tube lengths to the distance between uprights, reduced by about ten millimeters.
- Rest the mounting plates on a flat surface to align the two parts in the same axis.
- Engage the eye of each bracket on one end of the rod and tighten its locking screw.
- Present the rods in the wardrobe spaces and fix them by centering them under the shelves.
- Two short screws are sufficient at each end to secure the brackets.
To prevent everything "tilt" Accidental dressing, the amounts are fixed to the wall with brackets. These plastic fittings are equipped with a folding cover, for more discretion.
Realization of the dressing room frames
- The chopsticks melamine cherry decor are inserted between the amounts.
- The inclined sections are cut to the desired length, according to the angle formed with the crawling.
- Position the chopsticks flush with the outer edge of the uprights.
- Depending on their location on the walk-in closet, secure them from the inside with fitting hardware or through the thickness of the support jamb.
- In all cases, the fasteners must be invisible to the room.
- Where the false ceiling meets the creepers, the miter cuts are cantilevered.
- After pasting them, reinforce the connection by screwing two assembly tabs on the back of the chopsticks.
- Finish the frame by laying the vertical rods.
- They are placed between the wall and the box, nailed on a cleat screwed beforehand on the amount.
Fixing the hinges of the dressing room
- Identify and trace the locations of the moving parts of the hinges.
- To streamline the work, stack the door panels slightly off.
Unlike fixed parts, the hinge base has a circular housing that fits into a Ø 35 mm milling. This type of template makes it easy to mill impressions "in the chain" and in the exact locations.
- Dust thoroughly before fitting the hinges into their housings.
- Adjust the position of the wings parallel to the edge of the door and screw them.
Assembly of the doors of the dressing room
- Rectangular doors are installed without any particular difficulty.
- Present each one at its location and secure the two parts of the hinges.
- The central screw of the hinges serves to adjust the position of the door.
- By tightening or loosening, the panel can be moved closer or more or less away from the upright.
- The cutaway doors are re-cut on site.
- It's a delicate job to do.
- Provide for heat-resistant edgings assorted, to cover the cuts.
- Place the strip on the edge, leaving it overflowing on each side and at both ends.
- With a small hot iron, press forward without pressing.
- Without waiting, rub the band with a wooden wedge: the glue is almost instantaneous.
- Let cool for two to three minutes (at least).
- Cut the excess band with a scraper knife, keeping the blade flat all the way, so as not to cut the decoration.
- Break the edges with fine abrasive.
Settings and finishes for dressing room in the attic
- Position the drawer fronts. They should be aligned on both sides, balancing the spacings with small shims of the same thickness: approximately 2 to 3 mm.
- Remove the two top facades and clamp the bottom one with two clamps.
- Fix it from the inside with two non-through screws on each side.
- Locate the center of the facade.
- Mark the fixing points of the handle according to the spacing to be respected.
- Drill to the diameter of the screws.
- Repeat these actions with the following drawers.
- The handles are attached from inside the drawer.
- Tighten the screws but without forcing.
- Equip the doors similarly, arranging their handles as indicated on the plan.
- Glue pieces of double-sided adhesive onto the center door (at the sides, at the top, at the bottom and at two intermediate points).
- Fill in with putty-glue nuts.
- Remove the double-sided protective film and place a few shims around the edge of the door (in unsized areas!).
- Put the mirror on it.
- Align the edges of the mirror with those of the door.
- Then, gently remove the wedges one by one and press with a cloth to adhere the glue and the double face.
- Let the adhesive sealer take care to respect the time indicated in the instructions for use.
- Then straighten the door and install it.
- Proceed, if necessary, to the latest alignment and plumb settings.