The SUN TUNNEL light pipe from VELUX® allows natural lighting of blind rooms with a minimum of work. The implementation is simple and very fast, thanks to a frame with integrated connection very easy to install, that the roof is in tiles or slates.
- Roofer ladder
- Safety harness
- Phillips screwdriver
- Chainsaw and cutting disc for tile
- Counter Saw
- Work on the roof
- Realization of casing
- Installation of the casing
Work on the roof
1. This roof already includes roof windows can easily receive a light pipe. Less than half a day can be installed in a standard configuration by two people. Apart from a little dust, the work does not cause any discomfort inside the house.
2. Tiles are removed from the outside. Use a flat roofer ladder and take the precaution to secure yourself with a rope and safety harness taken from the frame.
3. The various elements to be installed: the frame with integrated connection and, in the background, casing elements of the light pipe.
4. Unfasten the 4 screws of the glazing frame and remove it. The removable glazing limits the number of back and forth trips between the outside and the inside of the attic for installation.
5. Create the opening (trimmer) in the roof for chassis installation. Saw the battens according to the size of the frame. Prefer south and west directions, which receive the most light.
6. Place the metal frame in the truss you have just created.
7. Replace the tiles on the roof around the frame. Any cutouts of tiles are on the ground, with the chainsaw.
8. The integration of the chassis is very discreet. It is ready to receive the inner casing of light conduction.
Realization of casing
9. The joining of the connecting elements is done by double staples.
10. Install self-adhesive aluminum strips to seal the metal tube seams.
11. Prepare the pre-formed vapor barrier flange.
12. The outer edge of the collar is self-adhesive. Remove the protective tape.
13. The vapor barrier is assembled to the preformed collar before assembly.
14. Layout patterns in the attic:
- upstairs for lost attics,
- downstairs for converted attics.
15. Prepare a 41 cm diameter template to simplify cutting the ceiling.
16. Refer the outline of the cut to be made on the drywall, attic. Cut the opening with a saw.
17. Place the pre-formed vapor barrier flange on the ceiling. The ceiling light diffuser consists of only two elements.
18. Screw in the preformed vapor barrier until the tabs fold down onto the plasterboard.
19. The preformed vapor barrier flange installed prior to casing integration. The peripheral groove constitutes a "reservoir" for possible condensation.
Installation of the casing
20. Start installing the casing (here, rigid version) from the outside. The alignment of the tube elements and the articulated elbows are easy to install.
21. Continue laying the casing from the inside.
22. Complete the chassis installation outside by installing the glazing. Replace and tighten the four retaining screws.
23. Connect the diffuser to the casing. Position the adhesive strip carefully for maximum airtightness.
24. Double staples facilitate assembly, adjustment and allow for more flexible articulation of the elements.
25. Position the adhesive strip carefully to ensure airtightness.
26. It is recommended to insulate the duct to prevent heat losses and avoid condensation phenomena.
27. Position the translucent light diffuser by rotating it a quarter of a turn.
28. The Sun Tunnel diffuser provides ideal lighting for a stairwell.
29. The Sun Tunnel light pipe chassis fits perfectly with the roof, especially if it already has roof windows.
(photos / visuals: © Velux, except special mention)
The other VELUX® tips
- DIY tips
Mounting a roof window
Rain noise roof window (ABP)
Triple glazed roof window
Solar collectors on roof
Install a solar powered motorized roof window
All about connected roof windows
VELUX® Sun Tunnel Natural Skylight
Installation of an internal blind
System of peripheral connections of the roof windows
Interior blinds for roof windows
Window-dome for flat roofs
Sun Tunnel VELUX® by Lovegrove
Active Velux Kit for rolling shutters
Replacement of roof windows
Installation of a Velux® solar rolling shutter
Maintain your Velux roof window with a dedicated maintenance kit
Installing on a Velux roof window a solar rolling shutter
Change an interior blind of Velux roof window
Velux Integra® Motorized Roof Window
Laying a roof window
Tutorial: How to install a solar roller shutter
3D presentation of the Velux® Air and Light House
On the same topic
- Questions answers
- Installation of skylights in 5 questions
This may interest you