The Content Of The Article:

I am about to buy a house to renovate. What help can I have for my work? Or do I have to go to find out. The house and old with very thick stone walls; I was told that 10 cm of glass wool would suffice for the insulation of walls or that it was better that I put more on very good joinery. Is it true? I specify that I live in the Puys-de-Dome at about 850m altitude.

Tax credits and sometimes subsidies can be obtained for insulation work and the replacement of joinery if the house in question is your main residence (30% on the materials in both cases, and in addition on the hand of work for insulation, the work to be done by a company RGE).
The National Agency for Home Improvement (ANAH) can provide additional help if you have low incomes. You can benefit from a zero interest loan.
For your work, it is necessary to establish priorities
In a house, at least 30% of the losses are done by the roof, 20 to 25% by the woodwork, 15 to 20% by the walls.
The roof must be isolated first, 25 to 35 cm of glass wool, rock wool, wood wool, etc...
Joinery needs to be replaced
For the thick old walls, two schools compete. The first considers that this type of wall provides no insulation and must be doubled. 10 centimeters of insulation is a minimum in the Massif Central and at this altitude. It is necessary to avoid glued doublings, and prefer the doublings on metallic frameworks, which allow breathe the masonry and moreover facilitate the passage of the electric ducts. The second school prefers outdoor insulation. This solution is to be retained when it is desired to keep the exposed stones inside.

On the same topic

  • Questions answers
    • How to insulate from the inside without degrading the decoration?
    • How to isolate an old house from the outside?
  • DIY tips
    • Insulate the floor of semi-convertible attic

This may interest you

Video Instruction: How to Insulate a Basement - This Old House