- Necessary material
- Site preparation to insulate attics
- You want to insulate your attic at € 1?
- Information for DIYers
- Blowing of the insulation
- Practical tip for DIYers
- Isolate yourself from lost roofs
Thanks to flake products, attics can be perfectly isolated. Blown with a carding machine, these flakes are deposited in a thick and uniform layer.
- protective gloves
- blow machine (KI Breath or Exp'Air)
- adjusting rods
- masking adhesive
- flake insulation
- falls of cleats
- TF agglo screw (to raise the junction boxes)
Cost: from 15 to 20 € / m2 (excluding machine rental)
Time: 4 to 5 hours for 50 m2
Site preparation to insulate attics
- Locate the VMC sheaths and suction port locations.
- Separate the ducts from the extraction unit, block them with adhesive and hang them at the farmhouses.
- Provide a peg at each end of the attic and two at mid-length.
- Place them on the false ceiling plates and nail them in the entrances of the farmhouses.
You want to insulate your attic at € 1?
Test your eligibility by filling out the form below:
Information for DIYers
- The blower must match the type of insulation.
- In the case of the product implemented here, it can be rented from the trade (KI Souffle card) or loaned (Exp'Air carder) by the GSB according to the number of bags purchased.
- Pour the flakes into the machine tray.
- Stir the wool to prevent him from staying in "packs".
- Adjust the machine to obtain an average density of 12 kg / m3.
- Connect the blower duct to the fan and pass it through the access door to the attic.
- Gather the excess sheath at the foot of the hatch.
Blowing of the insulation
- Ask the person next to the machine (to power it regularly) to start it.
- Start blowing away from the access and closer to the ramp.
- Perform back and forth to fill the gaps between the trusses.
- As soon as the thickness reaches approximately 10 cm, stop the blowing in order to replace the sheaths of the VMC.
- Continue blowing until you reach the required level everywhere.
- As the level rises, be careful not to stand next to the lines.
Practical tip for DIYers
Even if Thermo Loft glass wool is incombustible, it is best to avoid direct contact with the recessed lighting in the false ceiling of the lower floor. In this case, two solutions: either we create a separate volume (plenum), or we put hoods of firewalls meeting the French and European standards.
Isolate yourself from lost roofs
Can one isolate oneself the floor of the lost attic of a house on one level?
Christian Pessey's answer:
If the floor of these attics is not already isolated, it can be done perfectly with mineral wool or vegetable (hemp or cellulose), in bulk (flakes). You can rent the device to blow a layer of about thirty centimeters (or more) of insulation.