The insulation of a ceiling can be done by the floor of an attic if it is attics lost. This is by far the easiest mode to implement since it is enough to pour the insulation in flakes between the joists. This is expanded mica, known as Vermiculite. We can then cover the insulation of a floor if we want to develop these attics.
- Cleat or wooden board
- Expanded mica (Vermiculite)
- Setting up
1. Vermiculite is a very light insulator, all types of attic floors support it. The isolation technique is simple: it consists of pouring the material between the joists. The granules and flakes composing Vermiculite are fine enough: to avoid the flow of the product, carefully close all the slots and interstices. Caulk joints with adhesive paper; put small wooden boards to protect the perimeter of the attic.
2. Pour the vermiculite between the joists. The handling of the bags poses no problem because the product is very light. The laths fixed under the joists are often fragile: support only on the joists during the operation.
3. The required thickness of Vermiculite varies with the severity of the climate and the insulation of the rest of the house (especially the roof). A layer of 6 to 12 cm gives very good results and a satisfactory thermal insulation.
1. If you do not want to fill the space between the joists, use a cleat or a board to adjust the height of the Vermiculite layer. Cut the board at right angles at each of its ends: thus, it slides on the joists as on two rails, equalizing the product.
2. The main characteristic of Vermiculite, its lightness, has great advantages but also a disadvantage: the product may flutter into the room at the slightest draft. To avoid this inconvenience, sprinkle the surface of the insulation with a light coat of ordinary plaster.
3. Spray the entire plaster surface. The plaster takes, solidifies, forming on the Vermiculite a thin protective layer which is sufficient to maintain it. This precaution is superfluous if you are laying a floor.
On the same topic
- Acoustic insulation under-clevis (TRAMICHAPE from TRAMICO)
- Questions answers
- How to ensure the temporary insulation of the attic?
- How to isolate attics that can not be converted?
- Which insulation should I choose to insulate the floor? of attics lost?
- DIY tips
- Insulation of a wooden floor by the ceiling
- Insulation of floors and floors
- Insulate the floor of semi-convertible attic
- False particle board ceiling (chipboard)
This may interest you