The Content Of The Article:

I am currently renovating a small house with stone walls 50 cm thick, whitewashed (over 50 years old); it is a reduced area, 15 m2 on three levels. I put the bare stones inside, cleaned the joints. The walls are not wet and look healthy.
1) How to treat these walls (remaking the interior joints) with what materials (lime, cement, lime-hemp)?
2) What insulation should I put in place knowing that the suface is reduced, it does not seem possible to exceed 6cm, except to significantly reduce the living space. What do you think of plaster or banché lime-hemp. This house will be used either in cottage or to host one of my children.

The question does not specify the geographical location. It does not specify whether it is a temporary use (cottage?) Or continuous.
In a region with a temperate climate, for spring / summer / autumn use, the insulation of the walls is not necessarily necessary. The thickness of the walls, although not taken into account in the software of calculation and thermal diagostic, participates in the fact in the reduction of the expenditure of energy. It is important first to isolate the roof correctly, and to implement high-performance woodwork.
If the house is used in winter in a region with harsh climate, indoor insulation can be imagined in different ways.
If the living space should not be too small, then it must be oriented either to insulation from the outside, or to inner lining based on polyurethane foam, it is the most effective insulation to given thickness. Limit: this solution can only be considered with perfectly sound walls, which seems to be the case.
In the respect of the construction, and to manage any eventuality of arrival of humidity in the time, restore the joints with a coating with the lime and isolate with a lime / hemp plaster. This solution will be the most consistent with the frame, even if the thermal performance is set back, compared to a polyurethane insulation.

On the same topic

  • DIY tips
    • Overall insulation of the walls from the inside
    • Thick vinyl wallcovering (PVC)

This may interest you

Video Instruction: Installing internal wall insulation – how should I prepare?