- Practical advice
- Characteristics of a panel door
- Renovate without worries
- To remove friction
- Remove paint and putty
- sand down
- Put a bead of putty
- Smooth the putty
- Sand again
- Treat with two-component sealant
- Eliminate the thicknesses
- Straighten a distorted door
An old door may have peeling off the edge of the panels. Without the need to strip it, it is possible to quickly restore its elegance.
If you can not open the door, pry with a flat-tipped screwdriver, chisel, or spatula.
On new or bare wood, a microporous paint lets the wood breathe. Problem: These interesting properties fade when you multiply layers of paint. There remains the glycero whose "film" has incomparable qualities.
Characteristics of a panel door
This style of door usually has a large panel at the top, a smaller panel at the height of the lock, and a panel of medium size at the bottom. Both are secured in the uprights and crosspieces.
● The wood is rarely left bare. Sometimes varnished, sometimes stained, it is most often painted. Whenever the panels inflate or shrink according to the humidity variations in the house, the painting is solicited. This is not without problems, especially at the junction of the panels and the frame. In dry weather, a strip of bare wood may appear, while the mastic in the interstices cracks and falls.
Renovate without worries
The renovation method proposed here does not claim to be a restoration in the strict sense, but simply an easy and quick solution to achieve a lasting and satisfying result for the eye.
● First, the different causes of the damage observed on the paint must be identified. if it exists, the glazier's putty must be removed. Do not try to eliminate it completely, but scratch the non-adhering parts with the tip of a knife or the blade of a chisel. A putty capable of being painted and remaining supple will advantageously replace the original one.
● In the rebate of the door frame (the frame frame), check for the presence of hardened paint, resulting in successive coloring. You only need to pass your finger to appreciate the thickness of the paint that may oppose the maneuvering of the door. Closing is then done by forcing on the opening, which causes a lever effect supported by the mortises and tenons.
To remove friction
The same assemblies are put to the test when the door's bottom rail rubs on uneven ground, forcing the door to maneuver. It may be enough for one or two brass washers slid on the axis of the hinges to raise the door by a few millimeters. Failing that, a blow of plane on the song of the low transom will put things in order.
● where the paint is chipped on a large surface, use a sander (electric, orbital or belt). With a medium abrasive (80 grit) for the first pass, then with a finishing abrasive (120 grit) to finish, the tool makes it easy to obtain a correct surface.
● As for paint chips resulting from accidental shocks, a bodybuilder's putty applied to the painter's knife makes them disappear.
● Dust thoroughly with the vacuum cleaner and complete by passing a damp (lint-free) cloth over the entire door before painting.
Remove paint and putty
Eliminate peeling paint and clumps of hardened mastic with a chisel. Hold your tool well tilted and scrape by pulling if you are worried about cutting the wood.
With a medium abrasive (80 grit) mounted on a shim, sand the board plate and the outer edge of the molding at the same time. Change the abrasive that gets dirty quickly.
Put a bead of putty
After dusting, place a bead of silicone sealant in the gaps at the junction of the panel and the door structure. Move the nozzle in a steady motion.
Smooth the putty
Smooth the putty with the tip of the finger previously soaked in washing up liquid (or soapy water). Remove the excess to obtain a regular seal.
Sand areas with paint chips (80 grit, 120 grit). They are often located at the bottom rail and at the bottom of the lock side post.
Treat with two-component sealant
Paint chips and cracks are easily treated with a bodied two-part body mastic applied to the spatula. after curing (about twenty minutes), sand.
Eliminate the thicknesses
Eliminate the extra thickness in the frame rebate of the door. They force us to close the door and are responsible for splinters of paint at the level of the mortises.
Straighten a distorted door
The flat brackets allow to straighten a deformed door. Dig the wood to a slightly greater thickness than the metal. Catch up with bodybuilder's putty.