The installation of roof tiles completes a roof and ensures watertightness. The operation can be done either with special tiles with interlocking (with fixing) or with tiles united but sealed by mortar joints. In this case, no fixing (lag bolt or nail) is necessary, the mortar ensuring both the stability of the assembly and its sealing. It is recommended not to work alone on this type of construction site and all precautions must be taken to ensure safety: fixing ladders or scaffolding, wearing and hanging a safety harness, helmet, work shoes, glasses and gloves.
- Laying white
- Laying and joining
1. Begin the installation of the ridge by placing, but blank, the pediment and the first ridge taking into account the thickness of the joint since these tiles do not overlap.
2. In the same way, align 4 to 5 tiles in a row to locate the exact position of the joints and evaluate the mortar deposit areas. To facilitate the attachment on the enamelled surface of the under-roof tiles, striez them with a grinder to the height of laying of the mortar (seals).
Laying and joining
3. After removing the blank tiles, make a bead of mortar on the ground areas of the sub-ridge tiles. You will have spoiled a bastard mortar with a resin-based additive (Sikalatex R for example) in the proportions of a volume of additive for 2 volumes of water. Do not forget to moisten the terracotta pieces.
4. If it is not necessary to take into account the axis of the prevailing winds, it is however necessary to start the installation by one of the pediments.
5. Press the ridge over the mortar bed to achieve optimum contact between the binder and the material to obtain substantial bead. Then shape them to rough out regular joints between the ridge joints, known as "embarrassments" in the craft.
6. To refine the work, fill these joints with a greasier mortar that will guarantee a better seal. Smooth them, taking care to create no obstacle to the direct flow of rain on the roof, without any restraint or stagnation.
(photos / visuals: © Terreal, except special mention)
On the same topic
- Questions answers
- What is the best place on the roof to fix a wind vane?
- How to create a chimney outlet on a tiled roof?
- Leaks on a roof less than 10 years old: what remedies?
- DIY tips
- Coverage: function and installation of water collection elements
- How to choose and install terracotta tiles
- The different types of roofing and roofing materials
- Roofing asphalt shingles (shingles)
- Steps of a roof restoration project
This may interest you